Identification: please help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chinabeach, Feb 18, 2008.

1. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

I received this plant as a gift for valentine's day from my hubby,no info card came with it.Tried researching on my own on the web but no luck so i'm hoping someone can shed light for me.Thank you

Attached Files:

2. kome

kome Active Member

it looks like rubber tree or related hybrid

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, that's a variegated rubber tree. and it's lovely!! i've got the regular and the 'red' type...wow! i'll have to add a variegated one!!

it will need bright light (not direct sun) to keep it's coloring looking nice. water thoroughly and then let it dry out a couple inches down before watering again. a well-draining soil like a mix of regular stuff and cactus stuff would work well. it should have drainage holes in the container as well so excess water can drip out.

4. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Thank you so much for the help in identifying this plant. Is this plant difficult to keep nice should I give it liquid fertilizer.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's very easy to care for!!

you can even put it outside during the warmest months - it'll get a bit of a good growth spurt if you do. when temps are consistantly at or above 50F you can put it outside. just do so gradually at first - a few hours the first day, a little longer the next, etc. and then in reverse when it's getting colder out. keep it in a brightly lit shaded spot outside and you'll need to water it more often probably too.

as for fertilizing - once monthly during 'dormant' time and then every two weeks during growing season.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Very nice looking plant. Ficus elastica 'Variegata' (rubber tree)

I had this for a few months until my sister came to town, then it was given to her as a gift.
    Nice easy plant. Keep an eye out for spidermites (not that you'll see any)