Please help with ID and needs of this tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by AnitaE, Jul 23, 2020.

1. AnitaE

AnitaE New Member

I got this palm tree as a gift and I have no idea what the name is. Also the leaves became brown and yellow and starting to curl in.
    Hope somebody can help me with the tree.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AnitaE, good evening and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will receive replies about your enquiry soon. I am not a palm expert so will not try to give answers.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Maybe a date palm?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not a Date Palm, that is much stiffer in character. Chamaedorea elegans would be my best guess, it's a popular houseplant.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't know which palm this is but the stems don't look like those of Chamaedorea elegans. The plant does not appear to be in a bad shape. The yellowing appears to be amongst the lower and thus oldest fronds. Is that the case?

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Tom Hulse likes this.
  7. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Chamaedorea cataractarum looks like a very good guess to me, and it is a very common and cheap home-center houseplant in many areas.

They often don't get enough light or water or drainage indoors. Try to give it multiple hours per day of direct sunlight on the leaves, but preferably not in the middle of the day; or at least very bright indirect light. It likes more frequent water than many palms, but it still wants the open, free-draining soil that palms loves. Common, wet, boggy, cheap, home-center houseplant soil will be very hard to grow it in, and often leads to overwatering problems.