Identification: please help with fungi ID

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mudman, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mudman

mudman Member

Hello people i am new here & would like to ask for help with names to these three fungi pictures, I have had them for 3 yrs and can't seem to find them in any books, the first picture had caps around 8 TO 10 centirmeters across and white gills, the second picture: each ball was around 1 to 2 millimeters and was growing on corsican pine, the third looks to be a russula but i dont see any brown varietys in my books. All fungi were found in the UK. thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

The middle one is not a true fungus; it is in the Kingdom Protista, Phylum Myxomycetes. It's some kind of slime mold - not sure which one.

Last one looks like a Russula to me. I'll defer to Nikos and some other folks in Europe on this one who should be familiar with European Russulales.

3. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Ok for russula spec. and the first seems a young Lepiota.

Nico

4. mudman

mudman Member

Thanks for the replies, I am aware that the first picture is a species of lepiota any ideas on the last name for this one and the Russula, I thought the middle was probably a type of slime mould so that puts it back in the animal kingdom, again if anyone knows the full id on the pictures I would be very grateful

5. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

Sorry to be pedantic, but slime moulds are not in the animal kingdom, they are "in the Kingdom Protista, Phylum Myxomycetes" to quote MycoRob above ;p

6. miss_myxomycete

PS Love the photo of them!

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Excellent images.

Your photos should be posted as an example of quality to post for ID. Looks like you snapped the images while they were rather fresh, too.

8. mudman

mudman Member

Thanks for all the comments, and thanks miss_myxomycete' yourself and MycoRob are correct, just that some of my books state that slime moulds were part of the animal kingdom. slime mould are fascinating pretty and strange looking things i love them :)

these next 4 images i believe are Stemonitis splendens ?, 4 stages of change it goes through

Attached Files:

9. miss_myxomycete

Hi mudman, these are exquisite!!! I've been delving into my myxo books the last 3 days, in particular Bruce Ing's The Myxomycetes of Britain & Ireland - An Identification Handbook, and really had fun learning about Stemonitis spp. I *think* your photos may not all be the same species, especially as they're growing upon different substrates, & the 3rd photo has foxed me because of the colour of the sporocarps. Obviously microscopic detail is needed for a proper i.d....however, whatever species they are, they're soooo beautiful & delicate looking - thanks for posting these!! I will forward them on to my friend, a professional botanist with a strong interest in myxo's - actually he's a very good bryologist so will be interested in the mosses in your photos too. Oh, and the wonderful myxo's in your original post...still haven't got anywhere with those...

Have this great idea of putting these photos (with your permission of course) onto homemade Xmas cards??? Guess most of my friends wouldn't understand. Oh well, just a thought at this time of year!

10. mudman

mudman Member

Hi, Sounds like a book i shall have to get myself.
    Thanks for the nice comments and interest, it would be fine for you to use the pictures for xmas cards etc :)

the original pictures i posted "those blue beads" i noticed a site last week, so perhaps its called Cribraria argillacea, the original link is this
    http://www.myfg.org.uk/myxos.htm

here are another set of three unidentified slime moulds growing on an old stump of a lime tree, any ideas on a name would be good. So far i have named it as Badhamia utricularius but its probably wrong.

Attached Files: