Please help my prunus incisa

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by imran, Apr 8, 2019.

1. imran

imran Member

I recently got a short prunus incisa. After the blooming period it started growing leaves and seemed quite healthy. However, recently I have been noticing seemingly healthy leaves starting to droop. There is no browning or yellowing. The leaves are green and going limp.

The plant is always kept on a south east facing window.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached pictures too.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

This is not really a houseplant. While it may live indoors, for a while, it must be outdoors in at least half-day sun for the summer to generate energy for next year's growth. Generally speaking, any tree that is hardy to the temperate zone must have a quiet period at low temperatures (low 30's F) over winter. Without this rest, they do not have the vigor of the species. So, next autumn it stays outdoors over winter, on the ground, mulched over the top of the pot with leaves.

For now, put it outdoors any time the temperatures are not freezing. It needs to be introduced to direct sun a little at a time or the leaves will sunburn. So, bright light for about a week, then ~half day of east sun. Water it when the soil is dry to the touch, probably every afternoon. If you want a houseplant bonsai, buy a tropical, like any fig, Arboricola (dwarf Schefflera), Texas Ebony, Serrisa, Fukien Tea, or Chinese Sweet Plum. The plant you have is a nice one. Unfortunately, not suited to your needs.

Just because people sell Junipers, Boxwood, and Chinese Elm as bonsai, they are not year-around houseplants.