Identification: Please help me identify what type of flowering cherry this is :)

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by tee212, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tee212

tee212 Member

I need help guys! can anyone pls tell me what species this cherry tree is? located in california at cal state long beach along the street.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Looks like 'Kanzan' to me. These are not flowering now, in July, right? When were they in bloom down there?

Could we get you to reply and attach the images here in the thread? After you click Post Reply, scroll down and click Manage Attachments to upload the photos. Thanks. That doesn't mean anyone else will comment, but if they see the photos and think I'm wrong, they might.

3. tee212

tee212 Member

Thank you! Im not sure when they bloom but as of july I still see some flowers :) so for sure its kanzan?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. tee212

tee212 Member

really a peach tree? this area was known for its flowering cherry???

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here in Vancouver, we have lots of streets lined with flowering plums that always have people talking about the "flowering cherries", so just because people call them cherries doesn't make it so. You could post a closeup of the leaves next to a ruler. Peach leaves are supposed to fold distinctly inward and curve downward. I don't think I've ever seen peach blossoms, but I feel better hearing from Ron that it's not a cherry in California that looks like that and still has some blossoms.