plants for moist area

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by garden diva, Mar 14, 2006.

1. garden diva

garden diva Member

I was wondering what plants,annuals, part sun/shade area would be good in a mois wet garden?

2. Erica

Erica Active Member

Since no one is replying here's my two cents. I think the lily family would appreciate a boggy garden. Calla Lillies especially but they need the weather to be warm, too. Also, I grow ferns at the side of my house where it's moist and shady and they love it.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is the kind of question that is best answered by a book or a magazine article, as it requires quite a bit of thought for forum contributors to extract such a list from one's garden experience. Off the top of my head I would name hostas as a leading candidate for such an area, but I am also not clear from the wording of your question whether you are interested in perennials such as hostas or only in annuals. I'm afraid I don't know annuals at all. One book that answers this type of question well is the Expert series by DG Hessayon. Here is a link to a list of his books, which can be found at many garden centres and bookstores:

http://www.sterlingpub.com/book/CategoryDisplay.asp?SectionKey=2332249

4. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

iris are always a good choice for moist areas.

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Depends how wet it is - just slightly moist (a bit squishy) most of the time, or seriously puddly? You can plant magnolias in the first, but not the second.

6. Sea Watch

Sea Watch Member

HI, I live on the west coast of Nootka Island, and it can't get much wetter. I find Hostas, Rhodos, Hellebores, Azaleas, primroses, day lilies, bergamot, love in a mist, joe pye weed, evergreen fuschas, all like it out here. Not so sure about the annuals. Allysum did pretty good, but it likes sun. Shannon

7. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

If I had a moist area, I would grow more astilbe and lingularia. The first has ferny leaves and big plumes of feathery red, pink and white. The latter has waxy leaves and bright yellow flowers. Lobelia would be a good plant. I have a reddish leaved one waiting for a very wet area. Oh, and ferns. If it is boggy, I would fear to put lilies there, because of the potential for the bulbs to rot. Common garden iris rhizomes also are prone to rot if they are too wet.

8. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Hi,
    Yellow Loosestrife (Lysimachia vulgaris) is good. It grows along the river banks here.
    Gunnera manicata is good too...if you have enough space! Ornamental Rhubarb (Rheum) likes it damp, as does Astrantia major.
    Luke

9. garden diva

garden diva Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on plants for moist areas.I have a large garden but it is totally dry and hot and I just started helping out at a nursing home in their garden which has been neglected as there is so much moisture .I,ll try the local nursery to see about the plants you mentioned as some I've never heard of before.Happy Days,Garden Diva

10. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Loosestrife. I have the "gooseneck" variety. Excellent plant for moist conditions. Beware, though---if it is happy it will cover the earth! Some varieties of this plant have been banned for sale because of this invasive habit. However, if you would like your damp area filled in with a nice-looking, long-lived plant with insect-attracting flowers, give it a try.

11. koipondgardener

koipondgardener Active Member

try Caladium or elephant ears for the summer months and lift them in the winter if it does not dry out some in the winter.