Plants dying

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by lavalos, Apr 10, 2008.

1. lavalos

lavalos Active Member

I started growing some plants using those starting kits, and most of the seeds germinated, but now all the Bachelors' buttons seem to be dying as seen in the picture, while the other plants are doing well. Is it too much water? Too little water? Something else? I need some help.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Get them into some real dirt - those peat pellet things are great for starters, but once the plants have sprouted you really need to transfer them into something less acidic.

Additionally, how much light are those getting?

3. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Exactly my sentiment. These seedlings look starved for light to me: stringy growth and pale colour.

4. lavalos

lavalos Active Member

The plants are not really as pale as they look in the picture. They are by a window: Would that be enough?

I really have no previous experience growing plants and now I am very enthusiast but need some guidance. When plants grow to that size, do I need to move them outside? The problem is that it is to soon yet, and I was planning on doing that by mid May. I guess they will not hold so far.

5. lorax

I wouldn't put them out just yet, but I do think it's a good idea to move them into slightly larger pots and real soil. Those are batchelor's buttons, which in my experience have problems with soil that's too acidic (as I mentioned above) and peat is horribly acidic.

What direction does the window face? They should be getting South exposure if at all possible.

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Light from a window is not usually enough for seedlings.....they also appreciate some air movement to decrease 'damp-off' losses and to strengthen the stems.

7. plantenthusiast

plantenthusiast Active Member

Lavalos,

I would have to agree that your seedlings are definitely not getting enough light; move them to a brighter windowsill, or better yet, if your climate allows, gradually acclimatise them to the outdoors, and keep them in a coldframe if necessary. (They will be shocked by sudden temperature change & exposure to light, so it does need to be gradual.) But please note, that when you are starting seeds indoors or anywhere that light is limited, they will very quickly become 'leggy' if not provided with adequate light. The negative effects are many, the most obvious being that the growth is weak and spindly, tends to fall over, and in general gives the plant a tough time starting out. Also, it is worth pointing out that you can use a full spectrum fluorescent light to grow your seedlings on indoors. The plants will have to be quite close to the light in order for it to have the proper effect.

Also, you will want to pot those up shortly.

My personal experience with peat pellets has been that they're either too wet or too dry. When they become too dry, they can crack and obviously, without moisture the plant will soon fall over & wilt. If they are too wet, they tend to get moldy netting, which gives the netting a whitish appearance. I am still getting the peat pellet basics down pat. You can easily avoid the downfalls of acidic peat (for this particular variety) by starting seed in something like a tofu tray of sterile soil mix, and then transplanting them into larger pots when they show they first true leaf. (I find that keep the tray in a clear plastic bag greatly improves germination - once the first sprout is visible, the tray is immediately removed from the bag).

Now I am not sure about peat pellets, but with starting seeds indoors, some varieties can be susceptible to damping off, which is a fungal attack that basically makes the seedling suddenly fall over and the stem tends to wither from the base up (it attacks the base). So, in light of this, it is important not to have them soggy.

I wish you the best of luck with your seedlings, and don't get discouraged!

-Plantenthusiast

8. lorax

I forgot about peat pellets and damping off - the difficulty in maintaining moisture levels consistently was what put me off them in the first place. I actually had whole batches of seedlings damp off on me in pellets. Check for fungus and mold!

9. lavalos

lavalos Active Member

Thank you for all the interesting and new to me information. I will follow your suggestions to see what happens. Life is always a learning experience.