Planting borage for tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by chemicalx, Jul 9, 2008.

1. chemicalx

chemicalx Active Member

Several sites have said that the herb borage is a good companion plant for tomatoes, even stating that it improves the tomatoes' flavor.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this combination, and if you'd noticed any difference in tomato flavor? I was wondering whether it was supposed to make the tomatoes sweeter, or just the flavor stronger in general.

I have some borage growing, started from seed, but my tomatoes haven't ripened yet, so I'm still waiting to taste for myself.

(This year's tomatoes are Black Krim, Prue, Neve's Azorean Red, Cherokee Purple and Brandywine. They got transplanted a bit late, and so far tomatoes have only begun to form on the Cherokee - but the rest don't look too far behind.)

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

I read about Borage being a great companion to tomato as well for repelling some bugs and helping for flavor, similar to Basil. Beautiful plant, will have to plant some next year

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I was intrigued about borage, and have ordered some seeds. It should be an interesting experiment. I like the report about bees liking the flowers.

The Papaver somniferum flower is the best flower in the garden for bees, with the possible exception of lamb's ears.