Plantation in Morocco (redwoods + oak)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by benkabs, Feb 2, 2011.

1. benkabs

benkabs Member

Hello,

I am a farmer in Morocco. I have planted organic olive trees an other locals plants (prickly pears, pomegranate) in the Haouz valley in Morocco, at the foothills of the Atlas.
    We experience a continental weather with cold winter (it does freeze but very rarely and never less than 30° F) and a hot and dry summer ( it can get up to 115°F with warm winds). But, the soil is very good loam and very fertile. Also, I have established a good irrigation system.

I have currently several redwood trees, that I love so so so much as well as some black oak and california live oak trees. There are still in pots and doing pretty well. The planting season will start soon in our mild spring and I am planning on planting them in my ranch.

I would simply like to know first if those trees would make it in my ranch with sufficient irrigation and if so, what would be the best way to plant them.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am looking forward to reading you replies.

YB

2. benkabs

benkabs Member

The temperature I gave for the summer are only during heat waves, otherwise it is around 90 to 100°F.
    Thanks for your help!

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm not familiar with those temperature listings (do use °C, no need to feel obliged to pander to US ideas!). But why Californian Live Oak and Redwood? Why not local native species like Holm Oak, Araar, and Moroccan Cypress? They will be much better suited to the climate. What altitude are you at?

Moroccan Cypress, Oued-n-Fiis:

Attached Files:

4. benkabs

benkabs Member

Thank for your reply. I am using F° because I didn't know that you were using Celcius in Canada. Sweet, it makes it easier for me ;)
    The elevation is 500 meters, and it gets cold in winter at night, around 10°C and 18°C during the day. In the spring, the weather is mild and nice. It is only during 3 to 4 months in the summer that it gets really hot. Like a "normal" day is 35°C with some heat waves of around 45°C. They do not last long but they still occur.

As far the locals species at being an organic project (also trying to work with some permaculture principles such as the maximum diversity, etc...) I am using a lot of locals plants. The trees as certified and only from local varieties. I have planted some cypress, some pistachio of the atlas, a bunch of chrubs, acacias etc....to create habitat for the animals and the insects.

It is simply because my wife is from California and that I lived there, that I loved the trees back there and that I brought some acorns that I planted in a pot and that they grew. I do not want to waste them, this is why I just wanted to knowed if somebody knew if those tree would make it in a place which has the same weather than Bakersfield California.

In addition to those acorns I bought several redwood trees from Redwood National Park in CA and same story, planted them in pots and they are doing well. Now I want to see if they would make it.

Sorry for this long post, I just get so excited talking about that...This olive ranch is the project of my life.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers.

5. Michael F

Thanks for the details! I think it will be very difficult to grow the Redwoods, they will suffer from the low humidity in summer. If you can plant them next to a permanent stream or pond, that would be best, but still don't expect them to do well. The oak will be easier, particularly if it is one of the more inland species like Quercus wislizenii, rather than coastal Q. agrifolia. Hope they do well for you!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>do use °C, no need to feel obliged to pander to US ideas!<

Adopting the modes of those you are addressing is not pandering, at the very least it's just simple courtesy. "When in Rome...". Do you insist everyone speak English everywhere you go in your travels?

Otherwise it's effective communication. You want somebody to get what you are talking about, use terms with which they are familiar.

7. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

benkabs, keep us posted! I bet if you provide them with enough water you get decent sized trees.

Compared to other conifers there are few dwarf Sequoias. Sequoia sempervirens 'Adpressa' is one. If the main species doesn't grow well for you perhaps there is a place you have a microclimate of sorts a small plant could do well in.

Another choice is Metasequoia Glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood). Foliage is similar. Seems more adaptable but it hasn't been found naturally in California for millions of years.

8. Michael F

Rome uses Celsius! And this website is available in Rome, so we are in Rome. Therefore Celsius; it's the international global standard. Fahrenheit is a minor local parochial idiosyncrasy used by just one country out of 190.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

*looks forward to the day when people agree to disagree*

Back to the discussion started by benkabs?

10. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Nice to see some friendly banter on this forum.

11. benkabs

benkabs Member

Hi all,
    A simple topic becomes personal. Anyway, no big deal right?!
    I have planted the redwoods in a coastal area, my friend house, a month ago and they are doing great. I have also planted this week-end the califonia live oak in the same area, it should be ok.

With the remaining plants I have (3 redwoods, 3 california like and 2 black oak), I wil try planting in the ranch, mue alching them as much as possible and I will see.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Coast redwoods throughout the native range are producing the best growth in the last 1000 years, this is thought to be associated with increased temperatures and carbon dioxide levels. Tree has also long been cultivated in parts of California outside native range through the use of irrigation. So a warm and dry climate is not necessarily hostile to the tree, as long as moisture requirements are met by irrigation or natural ground water.