Plant Suggestions - Large atrium, open at the top

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by kbrite, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kbrite

kbrite Member

Hi All,

I have been challenged with redoing a 13-foot-square atrium with a large tree growing out of it (Oak? I need to ID). The tree's roots are quite exposed and someone told me I cannot cover them with dirt (can someone verify this?). The atrium extends up approx. 30 feet in the center of a medical lobby and is currently a huge eyesore that makes one feel like you're in a well.

I have thought about having two "stairstep levels" of planter boxes containing lush greenery at different heights - one close around the tree and about 1-1/2 feet off the ground and the other surrounding the higher one at as low a height as I can make it. Beyond that I'm thinking a low moss with stepping stones. The owner also wants a bird feeder.

QUESTIONS:
    Where do I find a list of plants that would be appropriate for this environment?
    Is the planter box idea ok, or does someone have another suggestion.

Thanks,
    kbrite

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It would be much easier to assist if a photo of the situation were posted.

3. kbrite

kbrite Member

Here you go.

The the right-hand atrium wall with the row of chairs against it is the front wall of my sketch. I drew the sketch at that angle so you could see where the entrance door is. Also, the sketch shows that the space between the tree and the door wall is much closer than the opposite side. I tried to show some tall plants closest to the tree and then some shrub-like plants on the next tier down. I'd like to consider moss or similar on the ground with stepping stones.

Thanks for you help!
    kbrite

Attached Files:

4. kbrite

kbrite Member

So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I can find a list of plants that would be appropriate for this environment? I've provided as much info as I can. Please help.

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I can't really help, but let me just that what you have is AWESOME! Why is it an eyesore? It's a great idea to have nature mixed in with the building like that. Your idea of planting boxes sounds good. Don't know how the mosses would do there. since you are in San Diego, I'd love to see lots of lush tropicals, and maybe you could even attach some orchids to the tree! A question, though - how much maintenace is it given now, and how much would be acceptable for the end product? Orchids tied to the tree would be almost zero maintenance. I suspect this atrium is open at the top, since there is a large tree in it?

6. kbrite

kbrite Member

Hi Ron B,

I know that you may not be able to tell from the picture, but the lighting in the large room is very poor and it seriously feels like you're down in a hole, since the daylight from the top of the atrium dominates. The atrium is cluttered with dry rocks and boulders, as well as misc. plastic garden store pots with plants in various stages of health. The tree's roots are quite high and exposed, adding to the craggy scene. There is a cement pagoda, which I will try to keep per request, but the little bridge is rotting and must go. There is a water spigot with a green garden hose laying haphazardly.

The place is in San Jose, which is in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's much cooler there than in San Diego, but I agree that moss may be a bit difficult. However, it's possible to create misting and drip systems that I'm hoping would help. And, though they don't have consistent maintenance now, they are willing to hire someone on a regular basis.

I would LOVE to hear more about tying Orchids to the tree! That would help the fact that the tree is just a trunk until it's well beyond the roof of the building. Please elaborate!

Also, my most urgent need is to be able to search plants by desired environment and get recommendations, etc, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks.

7. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Sorry, I read San Diego and not San Jose. Growing epiphytic orchids year-round on that tree may not work that well, then. Are the temperatures in the atrium the same as outside? As long as it never freezes where the orchids are, they should do fine. One of the best cool-growing epiphytic orchds is Laelia anceps. Just Google it to find out more. Dendrobium kingianum is also a good one. Cymbidiums would be excellent as a terrestrial in pots around the tree, or in the planting boxes. I know Santa Barbara is warmer than you, but check out this site http://www.sborchid.com/index.php for some help with that. Is San Jose dry compared to San Francisco?

If orchids don't work, I'm sure you could get a nice flowering vine to cover the tree.

8. kbrite

kbrite Member

Since your last post, I've been doing some orchid research and notice that the epiphytic orchids vary widely. I would prefer that they be evergreen with large leaves so the view doesn't become stark when they're not in bloom. Does the Dendrobium Spatulata fit this request? Also, can you id the picture here? this orchid seems to have all the qualifications as long as I can create the right environment.

Attached Files:

9. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Okay, first, Den. spatulata will not work - it is an intermediate to warm tropical. Needs a min. temp of around 65F. Looking at the picture you posted, I can't ID it 100%, but I'd say Den. thyrsiflorum or related species. Also out, as they are also too warm for your area. Needs a min. temp of around 55-60F. I don't know if there are any true 'evergreen' epiphytic orchids, but most keep their leaves for quite a few years before the leaves die, and eventually the old growths. If you want a full, green plant that looks good out of bloom, and you want something that would have the same kind of look as the picture, try one of the Oncidiums. Again, I can't guarantee how it will do in your area, but it is an amazing species. Cymbidiums around the base would also be very full. Although, any orchid that can be grown into a specimen plant would cover a large portion of the tree anyway. Could you tell me what the min. winter temp usually is where you are? I would assume it would be much warmer in the atrium over winter, right? That would help a lot in narrowing down what would be good for you. I'm sure there are local places that could help you, though. Did you try the link I sent?

10. kbrite

kbrite Member

Thanks so much, kevind76 (sorry for the mis-ID earlier), for all your input. You have given me lots of info to make the tree itself awesome!
    Your knowledge about orchids is superb and your alternate suggestion of using a flowering vine of sorts was a brilliant idea - I should have thought of that. :) The website you posted is a great resource as well.

Now, if I could just get someone to comment on my original question regarding suggestions on either where to look or actual plants to use in the planter boxes I spoke of earlier... anyone?

11. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Try re-posting in another area, like 'outdoor tropicals' or maybe the 'hortboard'. Maybe more people that know about tropicals might see it. Some people only look at certain areas, so they might not have seen your thread.

12. kbrite

kbrite Member

Thanks again. I'll try other boards. I have scoured my Completely Revised Sunset Western Garden Book, and though it's a truly amazing book, I guess I must need that human element to really define the project.

13. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I'd love to see some pics when it's done. Looks like a fun project.

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Take a walk through the Strybing Arboretum to see what they have growing among the trees there.

Also take note of Sunset Climate Zones and how there is variation in close proximity, the climate changing rapidly as you move away from the frequent coastal fogs.