Identification: Plant identification-Pink plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Hi, I am pretty new to gardening. I am having the worst time identifying an indoor house plant. It had dark pink leaves with a dark pink stem. ( it died when I moved last semester and I want to find another one) It had no flowers, but the whole plant was a beautiful dark pink color. It was about a foot and a half high with small heart shaped leaves. I've checked plant shops and online, but am having no luck. I know its difficult to identify without a picture but I'm running out of ideas to check. I appreciate the help. Thank-you!

Jessi

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bloodleaf (Iresine)?

3. Ali

Ali Active Member

??? maybe PHILODENDRON 'PINK PRINCESS' ???

4. =( No luck so far

Thank-you guys for replying. I checked out the pictures for both of the plants but it wasn't them. This is going to drive me nuts. It didn't have any green parts or veins. And it wasn't really bushy, it almost seemed like a small ficus tree. (besides the fusia pink =) I'm going to go to the library and look later. I'll let you know if I find out. =)

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Without a photo, you will need to post a more detailed description to be likely to have someone guess it here. Try visiting a nursery with a broad range of tropical foliage plants, seeing if they have it. Otherwise, at the library you might spot it thumbing through one of A.B. Graf's huge plant picture books.

6. beefsteak plant?

I found your post while trying to identify a very dark pink house plant I have had around for a while. I got it at a university plant sale and never knew what it was, but your description matched my plant perfectly--dark pink leaves and stem, no green whatsoever, etc. Check out this page (Beefsteak plant, Bloodleaf): http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/12349/ . It may as well be a picture of the plant I have. Are you sure this isn't the one you're trying to identify?

Good luck!

7. YOU GUYS ARE FANTASTIC!!! I just moved to MInneapolis after I graduated and found my missing plant in a plant shop here. It is Iresine, bloodleaf. Thank-you guys so much for your help!

-Jessi (very happy gardener)

8. IllinoisFarmLady

IllinoisFarmLady Member

Sounds like a plant called Heather. At least that what they called the one I use to have, It sounds like the one You have
    Good Luck with it
    Bev
    P.S
    I also have a beautiful Plant that I have had for 40 years + I always called it a Jade Plant but now someone else told Me today it was a Kalanhoe, I have never heeard of it but She sent Me a picture and it looks like mine so go figure..LOL