Identification: Plant ID

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by AlainK, Aug 12, 2022.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I have this plant that has upright leaves in winter. When the weather gets warmer, and drier,the leaves tends to droop, but it just might be because it's pot-bound.

IMG_1147_220810a.jpg

It's not the first time I've attached the leaves when new shoots appeared and it was evident the pot was too small :

IMG_1147_220810b.jpg

I used to know its name, but I've forgotten. A friend suggested "Dracaena angolensis" but I don't think it is. The leaves have a kind of groove on one side, so I think it's more likely to be a form of Sansevieria. Any suggestions ? NB: after repotting, the tallest leaf is about 1 m. tall...

I think the original plant is in a very warm, humid, shaded area of the world.

View attachment 235217

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sansevieria has been included now in Dracaena. The one your friend mentioned used to be called Sansevieria cylindrica, but those only have a groove at the bottom of the leaves. That might describe yours accurately - I can't tell from the photos whether the groove continues to the top. If not, I think you have your name(s).
    I posted my new plant at
    Sansevieria (Dracaena) with graceful long not quite round leaves | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    with a lot of possible but not really possible names suggested. My leaves are thicker than yours, and the form a rosette like yours.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for your reply Wendy, but stubborn me still doesn't think it's the same plant.
    But I may be wrong.
    I'm often wrong... ;°)

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This plant looks like the plants that were labelled with "LANCIA" as noted in the thread started by @wcutler.