Plant disease diagnosis

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jetdanijel, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jetdanijel

jetdanijel Member

Please help me identify what is wrong with the following plants:

Brugmansia suavolens "Twinflower"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The healthy one with the same growth conditions:

[​IMG]

Buxus sempervirens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Origanum vulgare

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Acer palmatum dissectum 'Garnet'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

On the Brugmansia it looks like possible Spider-mite damage along with leafcutters or some other nasty little chompy caterpillar/grub thing. I'd give it a good spraying with insecticidal soap and monitor it for little green worms. I can't tell if the chlorosis is just the mite damage or if it's also a nutritional issue - the plant looks pretty rootbound so you may also want to think about repotting it.

The Buxus looks like aphids. Again, insecticidal soap will kill the little nasties, and so will predatory ladybirds. Ditto the Origanum, although my plants sometimes look like that for no discernable reason; I prune off the yellow bits and they put on a flush of new green growth that isn't affected.

I am not a maple expert, and they can suffer from a number of problems, so I'll let somebody else, maybe a Maple Society member, answer that one.

3. jetdanijel

jetdanijel Member

Thank you for your help and quick reply.

I will try the insecticidal soap as you suggest. I have tried before some other
    insecticides and fungicides, but nothing helped.

The problem is that I can't find any pests on these plants, just the damage you see.
    I hope that there are some very very small insects any that I don't have some kind of
    virus over here, because that would be a really big problem :/