Pittosporum tobira

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by maggiec, Apr 30, 2008.

1. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

I believe this is a Zone 9 plant but the flowers smelled so wonderful I couldn't resist picking it up at the Vandusen plant sale.
    Anyone in the Vancouver area have success with overwintering this plant?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I'm not sure if my experience would help you since I grow mine indoors. The plant seems happy in an unheated room with a southern exposure where low temperatures in winter are around 10C/50F.

3. maggiec

Another site says it's Zone 8, but I note they say it is hardy up to -5C, and it's been below that here on occasion so it's a bit dicey. It's a fair sized plant already, and apparently can grow quite big, so I would prefer it to be outside. I was planning to plant it close to the house so it is more sheltered, and maybe with some mulching or other winter protection...?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

My notes indicate it is a zone 9 plant. It would probably survive outdoors with some protection and extraordinary measures during extreme weather. My guess is based on the experience of some members in our area growing Meyer lemon which is also a zone 9 plant. You may want to review some of the discussions in the Citrus forum involving Gregn and leapfrog. I recall reading about the use of mini-greenhouses and Christmas lights.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Often sold and planted in Seattle area (USDA 8). However, should be expected to be damaged on many sites here during coldest winters. Hopes for lasting success in or near Vancouver, as here, should be based on microclimate of planting site - warm nooks near saltwater beaches being considerable more promising than colder locations.

6. maggiec

Yes, I searched the Gardenweb forum and noted that a Bremerton gardener had a nice large specimen at his front door. He didn't mention any special winter protection. He also has a gardenia veitchii in the ground as well. I wonder what the extreme low temps are in Bremerton? I believe it's Zone 8b.

I noticed this winter that the palm trees at English Bay had clear plastic wrap around the trunks which were then filled with leaves. I wonder if I should consider something like this. Anyway, I'll choose the optimal spot in the garden - it'll be interesting to see what develops.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Brian (in Bremerton) has a huge (for this region) Nymansay eucryphia down the street (unless the neighboring property has been re-developed) so apparently he is in a mild neighborhood. Another thing to consider is that perhaps none of his plants were on hand for the 1990 winter, ones like that are those that separate the men from the boys. Since we are continuing to have cold weather this year I'm starting to think about 1955, when it was cold until October when it then became like summer - only to turn into Alaska the following month. A great many well-established trees and shrubs were destroyed by that one, there was even damage to native ones.

Sheltered urban neighborhoods in particular sport many borderline plants such as tobira, as it remains above 15F for long periods of time in such locations. Many currently prevalent items are actually only about that hardy and will be checked or even check out next time we get a real winter. Meanwhile Zonal Denialists will insist such plants are "hardy" because they have been able to overwinter them for awhile.

8. maggiec

Well, I guess I'm not a 'Denialist' because every winter I look at many of my plants in fear when the leaves get that sad frozen droop. Big sigh of relief when they thaw out. Not this winter but the past one, I lost 3 really nice mature shrubs and it was a rude awakening.

However, some plants just call out to you though...

I think I'll try growing a gardenia outside too. There's a Dollar Store in the neighbourhood that sells nice healthy plants incredibly cheap so it'll be another interesting experiment.