Pinus roxburghii - Chir Pine, originally posted as Pinus engelmannii - Apache Pine

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by wcutler, Feb 13, 2013.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think this is Pinus engelmannii, Apache Pine, seen in a private planting in Phoenix, AZ, but I could be corrected. The needles were three per cluster, around 25cm long. Another common name is Arizona Longleaf Pine.
    20130206_PhoenixPrivateProperty_PinusEngelmannii_Cutler_P1390798.jpg 20130206_PhoenixPrivateProperty_PinusEngelmannii_Cutler_P1390796.jpg 20130206_PhoenixPrivateProperty_PinusEngelmannii_Cutler_P1390797.jpg
    20130206_PhoenixPrivateProperty_PinusEngelmannii_Cutler_P1390802.jpg 20130206_PhoenixPrivateProperty_PinusEngelmannii_Cutler_P1390801.JPG 20130206_PhoenixPrivateProperty_PinusEngelmannii_Cutler_P1390803.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Pinus roxburghii - Chir Pine

It's actually Pinus roxburghii (from medium-low altitudes in the Himalaya) you have there - the cones match that, and not P. engelmannii.

3. wcutler

Re: Pinus roxburghii - Chir Pine, originally posted as Pinus engelmannii - Apache Pin

Thanks, Michael. I guess I'll have to go back to the southwest to see the real Apache Pine.

I know you don't like renaming of threads, but this forum has them alphabetically, so it would seem better to have the thread name sort in the right place.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Pinus roxburghii - Chir Pine, originally posted as Pinus engelmannii - Apache Pin

The other looks more like Ponderosa pine.

5. Michael F

A good place to see Pinus engelmannii is alongside the entrance road to Chiricahua National Monument; there are also Pinus leiophylla subsp. chihuahuana and Pinus johannis [syn. P. discolor, P. cembroides var. bicolor] there.

6. wcutler

Just had a look at where that is; maybe if I were to go to Tucson ...
    Trying street view. Are the trees you mention by this "congested area"? That's so funny. I did originally see this on google from the street view link (though it was a photo), but the link didn't go back to it and I couldn't bring it up again from there.

Or this street view looks like the entrance to something. Or do you mean driving along this road to the park? I hope I remember to look this up if go back there.

I don't suppose all these come with labels?

Ron, I'd even need a label for a Ponderosa Pine.

7. Michael F

Head to these locations with google street view:

Pinus leiophylla: 32.005504° -109.357987° look on north side of road

Pinus engelmannii: 32.005600° -109.356419° look northeast just next to bearproof bins

Pinus johannis is tricky to pick out on street view as the pic quality is so low, and (like other pinyons) it has short needles and is a shrub or at best a small tree. But it is quite frequent along the higher end of the road well inside the Nat. Mon.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Those are some pretty specific coordinates -- don't suppose you have a database of these? ;-)

9. Michael F

Sorry, no - I remember seeing those species at roughly those locations on my visit there, and then looked on google street view to re-find (some of) the trees I saw.

For other species I saw, some (where close to easily remembered sites) I'd be able to track down exact locations, but others I can't remember in such detail.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, too bad. I'm possibly returning for a trip to that part of the world soon.

11. wcutler

Got it, next to the Forest Service Truck! Maybe the bins are a better marker for next time.

12. Michael F

Yep, the bins (being bearproof) should still be there. The bears might have made off with the truck ;-)

Odd actually, there's no Forest Service Truck showing on my version of google street view, just a white stretch limousine car. Hope Daniel won't mind my posting this printscreen (I think I can claim Fair Use of copyrighted material for a sample this small from google earth):

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

Nah, I think it's the same car. Front looks the same. You can just make out that there's a badge on the passenger door in your photo. If you go to the right in your street view and look back, I think you'll see the badge (or whatever you call that thing) on the driver door. They'd be amused to have their truck taken for a stretch limo.

14. Michael F

Ah! I didn't look at it from that side! Yep, I see the USFS logo on it now.