Pink Lemonade Blueberry not producing fruit

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by pmurphy, Jun 27, 2014.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I purchased a 'pink lemonade' about 4 years ago and planted it with my others. It had lots of blossoms on it that first year but we never got any fruit. The next 2 years it never produced any blossoms and it has not grown. This past spring I was excited to see that it finally produced blossoms however within a week or so it looked like something was eating the developing blossoms/fruit - lt looked like little bites taken out of it. But this only happened on the 'pink lemonade'.
    I have never had any issues with the other blueberry plants and they have always produced good crops.

Any suggestions as to what or why this particular plant has never managed to produce fruit?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Pink Lemonade is supposedly a rabbiteye blueberry that is self-fertile; so it should produce fruit even without another type of rabbiteye blueberry around. It would do better with cross-pollination, but I think it will be difficult to find another rabbiteye variety for sale in this area. I suspect that it just doesn't like this climate, since rabbiteye blueberries grow naturally in the southeastern US, which has a very different climate from ours. Anyway, I planted a Pink Lemonade bush this spring; so I should find out for myself how it does in this climate in a few years. I noticed that the highbush variety Rancocas contributed some of the genes in Pink Lemonade; so there is some hope. It would be interesting to hear from some other members if they've had any success with this variety.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I look forward to your results, and anyone elses success or failures.

4. blueberry

blueberry Member

I had my pink lemonade for over 4 years and this is the first year it had blossoms. Currently it has little berries on it but I'm waiting to see if it will mature. Have not had the problem of something eating my blossoms though.