Propagation: Pineapple broom

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Sonya, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Sonya

Sonya New Member

My parent sold their home and they have a beautiful pineapple broom tree. The house us going to be torn down and I would love to take a cutting and regrow at my home.
    Please let me know if you have any advise.
    Sonya

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2021
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think you would need to be taking cuttings in summer to have any chance of success, so you have missed the window of opportunity for this year.

The other option that may present itself depends on how the Pineapple tree in question is growing. Often they will send up new stems or suckers from close to the tree base, so if you can find a young stem growing in such a fashion you might be able to dig it up with some roots attached and propagate the tree this way. Good luck...

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It may be a long shot, but if you could still find any seeds, pineapple broom (Argyrocytisus battandieri) is said to be easier to propagate from seeds than cuttings (which should first be soaked overnight and/or scarified). I've never seen one, but they certainly look beautiful and are apparently fragrant too - as I'm sure you know.

4. Sonya

Sonya New Member

Thank you,

I did go and saw a bunch of suckers. So I dug them up and saw roots attached. I used rooting compound and planted into a pot. I sure hope it works!

Sonya

Skipleyfarm and maf like this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That's terrific! Good luck with them. Plants with sentimental value are extra special.

Sonya likes this.
  6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it is like many other brooms, germination is enhanced by the chemicals in smoke (thus promoting germination just after a fire). Burn some wood shavings under a wet cloth, and wring the smoke-water out of the cloth onto the seed tray.

Pic of the plant in flower, as no-one else has posted any yet:
    IMG_0834.jpg

Margot likes this.
  7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Flowering 6th of June this year. It flowers profusely every year but I can't remember ever seeing any seeds, not that I have been looking for them. There definitely are none on it at present because I had a look today.
    IMG_20210610_195845.jpg

Margot likes this.