Propagation: phalaenopsis seeds availible

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by houseplont, Feb 25, 2022.

1. houseplont

houseplont New Member

developing pods
    orchid1.jpg orchid2.jpg
    seed parent
    orchid3.jpg
    pollen parent
    orchid4.jpg
    I attempted pollination on a whim with two phalaenopsis (moth) orchids, just to see if I could. Now I have developing seed pods and would like to attempt sowing these seeds. I realize the process is long and involved, and I am a simple houseplant hobbyist.

Would anyone based in or around UBC, and with regular access to a lab like to attempt to sow them with me? This would be a low stakes way of dipping our fingers into orchid breeding, since there are two seed pods (lots of seeds) and since these are common varieties and free to you. If all works out, we could split the resulting baby plants. If it doesn't, it would be a learning experience :)

My main concern is access to a sterile lab environment (glovebox?) and nutrient agar, along with long term access to a lab to re-flask them. If you have these please reply or message me! If there are no takers then I would happily give the seeds away for someone to attempt on their own. I simply don't think I could make it work alone at home.