Phalaenopsis & Miltonia Orchids - HELP!

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by tangotitch, Sep 14, 2007.

1. tangotitch

tangotitch Member

i bought a new phalaenopsis orchid and through the clear plastic pot i could see condensation and dark green moss or algea stuff also covering the roots.

i thought this was rotting or something so i re-potted the whole thing and washed the roots out.

i noticed the main clump of roots just dissolved away, like mush with a black thread/stringy thing. any other roots which were dried out or brown, i cut away.

what does root rot look like for both types of orchid?

what is the term 'spike'?

when/how/much do i cut the flower stems back after flowering?

on each 1 of my phalaenopsis & miltonia orchids, after flowering, the main flower stem has just dried up, is this normal? what should i do next?

also, i'm having difficulty in finding the 'bark' like what the plants originally came with when i bought them. i went to one garden centre and they only had 1 bag of orchid compost which had bark mixed in.

when i opened it, it just looks exactly like normal compost with very little bits of bark in it. i'm scared that this stuff is not 'open' enough for the roots to 'breathe' in???

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Hi Tangotitch,

That's a few questions but for starters you're on the right track. Root rot looks pretty much the same no matter what type of orchid -grey, dark brown, slimey, decomposing mess. It's the roots themselves whose appearance (and needs) will differ. Phalaenopsis roots should be thick, firm and coloured silvery white or green when wet, Miltonia have finer roots systems but overall appearance of healthy roots is similar. I grow both under lights so my conditions will be different from yours but the overall needs of these plant is similar - both prefer intermediate to warm temps, good humidity and constantly damp (not sopping wet) but with bright indirect sun (more Eastern exposure than Southern unless shaded). My Phals are potted in a medium to coarse mix while my Milts (Miltonia and Miltoniopsis) are potted in finer mix. I would definitely keep looking for a source for potting mix (it sounds like your local nursery has a mud mix -too little air) that contains mostly bark with charcoal and sphagnum moss.
    A spike is just the layman's term for the inflorescence on orchid plants. After your flowers are done you can cut the 'stick' part as low as you can (on Phals you leave a couple of unflowered nodes - the joint in a spike - to possibly flower again). I tend to leave them on the plant until they dry out in the hopes that my plants can suck some energy back into the plant.
    Lots of sites with lots of information (including this forum). Some searches you may want try: orchid bark mix UK, repotting Phalaenopsis, Miltonia (species and hybrids).

Good luck
    Shaun

3. tangotitch

tangotitch Member

Hi arcticshaun,

Thanks for the reply. I found the website for where my orchids came from.
    http://cameleonorchidee.nl

From what he site said, I guess I did the right thing cutting away the entire stalk/stick/spike of the Miltonia. It said it will grow a new stalk.

But the Phalaenopsis, it says after flowering to just cut down to the 2nd eye/node in the stalk/stick/spike. A new branch will grow from that point after.

I cut alot of mine off because it just dried out completely, like a dead, dry stick straw colour. I cant find any information stating that the stalk turns this way.

I'm having trouble finding this bark stuff to re-pot the Phalaenopsis with, so i used it's old bark mixed with the orchid compost the shop told me to use. But now i'm scared it's going to rot the plant! :'(

Is there anything else i can substitute with instead till i find the bark chips? I read somewhere these things like broken peices of coconut shell?

4. tangotitch

tangotitch Member

Also, for both the Miltonia & Phalaenopsis Orchids, it says to immerse in lukewarm water once a week, then left to drain well. (clarify on the immerse bit?)

Also, in regards to plant food. how/when do i give/add it to the watering of the plant?
    I have been using baby bio.