1. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Do any of you think this Rapidtest Soil pH Meter that only cost 20 dollars is worth buying? LL-1840_lg.jpg

2. natureman

natureman Active Member

I have the exact same one. Unless you need a pretty accurate/quick way , or you have a large area to check, it's not worth it imo. It's best to go with the paper strips or similar cheaper item.

3. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Thanks for replying, I was thinking that it was not a very reliable device. I tested some soil with it, and it gave me a reading of about 6.6 to 6.8. I then took some of that soil and posted it to Virginia Tech which replied saying it had a pH of 6.1. I can believe it was that low because this small garden plot had received many dose of peatmoss over the cource of many years. After receiving the soil analysis from Tech I applied a good dose of limestone and waited to test it again with my little meter. It registered a 6.9 three months later which was my target. I also used it to test the soil in the rear of the house, at fifteen centimeters it read neutral, at 30 cm it read 6.5 and at 40 to 50 cm it read 5.4. This again seems logical but I thought lime would leach down to a depth of at least 60 cm. How did I get the probe so deep? I dug down to those depths that's all. Any input would be most kind, thanks.