Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

P1000261.jpg This is a big file so if you click on it, it is best to have a broadband connection.

This is Uvularia sessilifolia, the one on the left is growing in a more alkaline soil the one on the left is not. The plants arrived only a week ago, the one on the right has tripled in size the on on the left has not grown at all. Many experts don't say much about pH or ideal pH, this is proof that they spend too much time doing what I am doing right now typing.

2. richardbeasley@comcast.net

Sorry I got it backward, the one on the right or the bigger on is in a more alkaline soil. As to my question, I didn't know we had to always ask questions every time we made a post. I often post a message with out it being in the form of question. So why is it that you feel that all post need to be in the form of a question, should we all have to play Jeopardy!? Let us be more kind to one another, I like to post messages about things that I have just learned or realized at a greater level. I spend lots of time setting up my post from as little as fifteen minutes, up to untold hours. This simple post took me about an hour or more, I had to test the pH and moisture content of the soil, then I had to find my camera, set up the tripod waited for the right light, and then I had to edit the photos , then to select the best photo then on to reduced it's size and then to upload it , not to mention spell check. Remember to be happy : ) we still have a planet we can live on.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Interesting that pH can be changed over such a narrow area! If you want to make your soils more alkaline, do the opposite of what Cereusly Snide advised and add a bit of lime.

I find it frustrating also that soil pH is largely ignored except where it's very very obvious (like growing blueberries, for example) or necessary for the plant to stay alive (like citrus). Thanks for posting your experiment!

4. richardbeasley@comcast.net

We are blessed here because we live close to the waters of the Chesapeake Blue Crab. They are delicious just dipped in warm butter and the remains becomes a very excellent compost with a pH of 8. This is how I can make such a close side by side comparison and have almost instant pH adjustments. I don't use lime in my gardens, as it takes over three months to find out if have gotten it right or not, then if I miss my mark I then need to add sulfur to lower it, which takes months to find out if I have gotten it right, or use some kind of harsh waste chemical like aluminum sulfate which is very toxic to your soil's microbiological environment. I did not understand Seriously Snide's post, it was rather odd to me. I just hopped over to this forum because the results were so sharply displayed. I believe I will be going home now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.