pest control

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by makayla, Mar 3, 2005.

1. makayla

makayla Member

I grew up in North Delta and we always had a ton of garter snakes in the yard.......very few slugs etc.
    I live in Surrey now, and I cannot find any snakes. I buy ladybugs in the spring..is there somewhere I can buy garter snakes????????

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Makayla,

A very interesting question. I'm in the US, so I can't speak for Canada, but I'm wondering if it's legal to sell native snakes in your area. If not, then how about offering your property for placement of rescued ones? You might consider contacting a rescue organization or wildlife trapper. Here's one rescue organization I found in Surrey.

http://www.rainforestsearch.com/rrrs/home.htm

Hopefully someone local will come along with a better answer then I've offered.

Newt

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Makayla,
    Before you buy garter snakes, you should check with your neighbours and perhaps municipality by laws. Garter snakes eat lots of insects but the word snake is enough to cause many people to take up "arms" against you. When I was in Edmonton, I had massive slug problems. I thought of using a male duck for controlling the slugs. By-law officers told me it's against the law to keep a duck. Why? Because it's a domesticated farm animal. They allow up to three dogs per house but not a drake. Go figure.
    Peace
    Thean