Paraphalaenopsis Help, Please...

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by klslk, May 22, 2007.

1. klslk

klslk Member

I am so hoping someone can assist with a few questions I have regarding my Paraphalaenopsis orchids. I finally have had some better than average success with my orchid... so much so that now I have three.

My original has been doing extremely well, new growth on the stems and lots of new buds springing up. The leaves look great - I am pretty confident that I've mastered the water/light/temperature situation... Lately, over the past few days I've noticed that where the older flowers have fallen off, the stems appear to be dieing back - sort of shriveling from at the tips. I'm not sure if I need to snip this portion of the stems or what. There are still a ton of new buds further downward. It's been doing so well, I don't know if this is normal or not - but I don't want to lose this plant! I've had it for about 3 months or so, not sure how mature it was when I got it. It's a small flower, purple in color - sort of a common orchid....

In addition, the roots are growing like mad... they are really coming way out of the pot. Is this normal? I'm not sure if this is okay - having them so exposed, etc. They look pretty healthy. There are a few that are much smaller, older I guess which do not look quite as good. I guess the question here is, is it okay for the roots to just keep going where ever they want? or, should i try to encourage them to head back inward toward the pot. I've done extensive searches for advice, and only find watering, light and feeding info.

Thank you so much in advance!!

2. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

3. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

It is okay for roots of these moth orchids to go anywhere they want to go. I think it is best for the roots to be exposed so that they can capture the moist better. Some even plant these beauties outside the pots rather than inside the pots.

The only thing that you should watch out in this plant is to be sure that the terminal bud does not collect water. Position it in a way that water does not accumulate in this portion.