Pampas grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by COASTALGEORGIAN, Nov 13, 2008.

1. COASTALGEORGIAN

COASTALGEORGIAN Member

I live on Coastal Georgia. In the Spring I planted 10 pampas grass plants. Since then all of them have grown nicely. Except that only 4 of the 10 have developed plumes. How do I encourage the growth of plumes in the remaining plants?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wait for it. Plume production is a function of plant maturity; some may not bloom until their second year.

3. COASTALGEORGIAN

COASTALGEORGIAN Member

Thanks for the quick response. All plants are looking healthy so we will indeed wait.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note that this has weed potential in your state.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COSE4

Putting the cursor over GA in the distribution map on the page at the above link indicates the species was recorded growing wild there by Duncan, W.H., and J.T. Kartesz. 1981. Vascular flora of Georgia.

Although not one of the states indicated by the USDA site we are now noticing many specimens of pampas grass growing wild along highways and in streams here in western WA, particularly in and around Seattle (where I spend most of my time). In two instances I have seen the plants clustered in streams just above where these entered pipes beneath roadways. This behavior would seem to have potential for creating blockages, perhaps even interfering with salmon migration under some circumstances.