Palm Tree ID

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Marly, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Marly

Marly Member

I have a palm tree in my back yard and I need to know what kind of palm tree it is, and specifics about the root structure. If you know where this info can be found from a reliable source, or if you have information on this palm tree and could tell me about it that would be great!

The tree is about 30 years old, and is slow growing. The trunk has been trimmed, but used to be rough, and I always thought it looked sort of like a pineapple before it was trimmed. The flowers are yellowish, though I've never seen fruit on the tree itself. The roots seem to be thin and spread out, but I need more info. Attached are several pictures.

Attached Files:

• F.jpg
      F.jpg
      File size:
      151.8 KB
      Views:
    • Trunk3.jpg
      Trunk3.jpg
      File size:
      143.6 KB
      Views:
    • Tree.jpg
      Tree.jpg
      File size:
      150.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Try looking at www.plantapalm.com to ID your palm, I'm not very good at identifing plants, but its a great site with a large encyclopedia
    Carol Ja

3. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

IT would appear that your palm is a Canary Island Date Palm.(Phoenix canariensis). This palm, if I'm correct, is a little more cold hardy than many palms. Notice that the "boots"(leaf base) that remain on the tree are a rather flat diamond shape. Had the pruning been done to leave a longer piece of the base of the frond on the tree, that base would have been a truer shaped diamond. When trimmed from day 1 with the thought in mind, these palms can and do look like a real (tho GIANT) pineapple. This resemblance probably causes more people to call them 'pineapple palms' than the real name 'Canary Island Date'. Fertilized twice a year and given copious water, this tree can grow rather rapidly to 55' or 60'.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree with Chuck White in the above post. Phoenix caneriensis - Canary Island Date Palm.