Palm tree has disease...help!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by GreenLeaf, Aug 26, 2005.

1. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

It is growing new leaves, but the older ones are being infected. Maybe fungal infection? Has strange dark markings all over the place. What can I do...I don't want to see my poor plant suffer (a majesty palm, grown indoors in a big pot).

Infection

The oldest leaves are dying back after the black markings turned up.

Leaf dying

Thanks so much for any help!

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. GreenLeaf

It looked so unresistable when I bought it at a chain (I got it a few years ago and it has suffered serious aphid/mealy bug damage before this weird leaf disease) but now I regret buying it. Cost a lot and wish I'd have spent the $ on something more worthwhile. Well, thanks for the info!

4. Newt

I do know what you mean. I was at the grocery store yesterday and they had lots of them, looking their 'fresh from the greenhouse' best. I couldn't help thinking about all the potential posts coming to a garden forum in the near future.

Newt

5. GreenLeaf

It just died! I checked the stem and it was rotten at the base. Had to cut everything off because the base of the stem is brown, squishy, and disgusting. I've given up growing those palms.

I think smaller palms, the parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) is a lot better than those huge majesty palms that are impossible to grow. At least that one isn't dying or sick...:)

6. Newt