Pacific NW Landscape Plants ID Needed

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Plant Photographer, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Plant Photographer

Plant Photographer Member

I am a web developer and I have been taking photos of landscape plants in the Portland Oregon area and I need help on identifying the plants and trees for a project.

I just set-up a website www.flowersntrees.com and would greatly appreciate help in identifying these plants. I have photographs of over 300 different plants that I have taken.

I set it up so you can identify plants directly on the website. Thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It looks like an interesting project, but I think most firms would hire or retain a consultant (professional horticulturist) for the scope of the work. Asking the community to identify plants and then turning it around to sell software for a profit strikes me as making some rather bold assumptions about the time and knowledge that people are willing to give away for free.

3. Plant Photographer

Are there any professional horticulturists out there interested in this kind of project? I would be willing to pay for the help.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Contact someone at the Oregon Garden near Silverton.

There are many other people that can help you, but you just may find someone at that garden, who may take the task on the side.

5. Plant Photographer

Thank you for your suggestion. Response to my request has been very strong and we now have over 1200 plants identified.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Good deal.

If you can't remember them all, better burn a backup disc of your website or album.

Enjoy your project.