pachapodium madigascar palm DIEING!!!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by magnum5757, Sep 30, 2005.

1. magnum5757

magnum5757 Member

madigascar palm help me save this large specimin

HI the plant that I have is over four feet tall, It was given to me by a friend, I kept it outside for the summer....the main stock is rotting but their are a few nice branches that might be able to make it ....but I dont want to make any mistakes in trying to get them to root !!!!! Im devistated that its come to this stage. I can only hope that one of you have had some experience in this situation PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!! Im trying to make the best of a BAD situation.............regards BRAD. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  2. cut of the end of the branches just above the rot, let them air dry for a week, dust some rooting hormone on them and plant in cactus mix.... they will bleed a white latex sap for a while after cutting.... the pieces should root out easily if kept moderatly dry and next time around keep drier... dont worry if it looses it's leaves, they do that once a year in the dry season, just like maple trees here.... remember it's a cactus, not actualluy a palm... so grow accordingly.... also i reccomend looking up the name in a search engine to find more specific cultural info that is at least interesting, if not useful

3. magnum5757

magnum5757 Member

Thank you very much!! The damage is extensive its the main trunk! do I dust w/ hormone when I cut the stock or ....after I wait for it to dry one week??? The plant was over watered by my friend and wasnt noticed until a month later....thanx again ............Brad...........PS........would the goopy wet hormone be as effective( Ive used it before )

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005