Overwintering scarlet runner beans

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margaret, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Have just learnt that it is sometimes possible to overwinter the roots/tubers of scarlet runner beans. I am on the Sunshine Coast of BC in zone 7/8 and wonder if anyone has been successful with this?
    Thanks.
    Margaret

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I have had a similar bean variety to scarlet runners (a heritage variety I got from a friend) overwinter and resprout from the roots. It's rare but I've had it happen if all the stars are aligned and we have a decent winter.
    keke

3. Margaret

Thanks for the reply. I think that the plants can stay in the ground and I will keep an eye on the stars (we have very little light pollution here so that will not be a problem), but the rains may rot them. Would crossed fingers also work do you think? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks again.

Margaret from a very rainy Sunshine Coast.

4. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

The location my beans were in when they overwintered was partly under the overhang from a south-facing garage roof.

I cut down the tops as they withered, to keep any fungal ickies from overwintering. Left the roots in to add nitrogen to the soil and lo and behold they resprouted!
    keke

5. Saw Scale

Saw Scale New Member

Hi,

I am wondering why you would want to overwinter your scarlett runners? It's super easy to let some of the beans go to seed, and they grow quickly. Is there some advantage to overwintering them? I grown them for 8 consecutive years by saving seed with no issues. Just curious.

Saw Scale

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should give more vigorous growth earlier in the summer, leading to earlier cropping.

7. Saw Scale

Saw Scale New Member

Thanks Michael,

I had no idea that this was a possibility. Would the same work for bush beans and other pole beans? Or just the scarlett runner in particular? Thanks again!

Saw Scale

8. Margaret

Thanks for the answers. I will also plant seeds from some of this year's plants so I will have beans one way or the other. My most successful plants this year were from seeds given to me by a neighbour from her plants. They grew much more strongly than the ones which I bought from the nursery so needless to say it will be their offspring which I am collecting. Will post the results next year.
    Margaret

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should apply to almost any perennial plant also grown as an annual. The down-side of course is that you may lose some or all of them over the winter.