Hedges: Overgrown Evergreen Hedge

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by camcgrath, Aug 17, 2008.

1. camcgrath

camcgrath Member

Hello,

I have an evergreen hedge that is substantially overgrown (my fault), and I would like to try to salvage it. From what I have read, I probably should make sure that when I trim, I leave some green growth. I say this because I am not sure what type of hedge it is. Anyway, the previous owner had installed light posts within the space now occupied by the hedge and the hedge has begun to overwhelm them. I would like to trim them back as much as I can. I can live with some "overwhelming", but it has offended even my limited aesthetic sense.
    DSC00583.jpg
    DSC00584.jpg

I would appreciate it very much if those with experience could provide me with important tips or links to this information elsewhere. I think that I have a handle on what to do with the deciduous hedge behind it, but the evergreen makes me nervous. Also, I have attached a photo of a trimming from the hedge. If someone could tell me what type of hedge this is, it would allow me to learn any specific information I may need.

DSC00586.jpg

Thank you in advance

Chris

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Shear in early summer to desired shape. Prune so top is wider than base for denser growth in lower parts. As you said, bare interior sections unlikely to green back up later so do not prune all the green off of any sections or you are liable to be stuck with "dead zones." If you cannot reduce size adequately without removing outer shell of live growth then planting may have to be removed, lights raised up higher, area of pavement reduced in size...

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a juniper, not Western Hemlock. But the same applies, can't be cut back into old wood.

4. xz87zg

xz87zg Member

Same problem. I don't know what the evergreen hedge is, so I don't know if I can hard prune it or not. The wood is hard, tough and dense. It taxes a chipper that otherwise handles 3" branches. Removing the hedge would probably be extremely difficult because of the hard, dense roots — not to mention destroying the ground cover beneath the hedge.

Leaving the area bare, even with the hedge cut flush to the ground isn't an option; it's the "landscaping" that covers the front of the porch on a craftsman-style old house. If I could hard prune it to a foot off the ground and it would regrow, I think my problem would be solved. If that kills it, I can't imagine how difficult removing roots and re-planting would be.

Attached Files:

5. Michael F

Juniper again, so no, it won't regrow well if cut back hard.

6. xz87zg

xz87zg Member

Thanks! Do you know what variety of Juniper it is? Or, for that matter, how to remove its roots to plant something else. I fear the roots will be nearly untouchable, from my bad experiences trying to chip cut branches in the past.

7. Michael F

Probably a cultivar of Juniperus × pfitzeriana (hybrid J. chinensis × J. sabina; generally the most commonly planted shrubby juniper).

8. xz87zg

xz87zg Member

Many thanks. I wish I could cut it back, if only because rooting it out looks to be so difficult. It is probably over sixty years old, and could be 100 for all I know. We've only been here 27 years.

I'm afraid that cutting it taller than three feet would still leave mostly wood. It tolerated having a foot taken off this year, but didn't fill in much if at all lower down. The ones on the other side of the walk are even spindlier, with even less on top.

Do you have any advice?

9. Michael F

Hire a professional gardener to dig it out?

Otherwise, if you cut it down to ground level, it won't regrow. The dead roots will take a long time to rot away, but you could put new plants in between them.

10. xz87zg

xz87zg Member

Thanks, again Michael. I'm afraid there hardly IS an "in between them." Where are the demolition experts when I need them?

Dante