Osmanthus burkwoodii successful shrub

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by janetdoyle, Apr 28, 2009.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I wanted to report a success: Osmanthus burkwoodii has done very well in a fairly exposed northwest facing location with sunny Victoria area afternoons [shade in mornings], showing absolutely no leaf damage in the 2008-9 cold winter, growing steadily but moderately, blooming now in its 2 1/2 year with jasmine-like small white flowers, and absolutely ignored by the deer.

This I will plant more of, it is a useful evergreen landscaping shrub [mine has rather small dull-surfaced pointed, tough but quite attractive slightly grayish-green leaves] in an area with much deer depredation. I assume it prefers a well-drained location. It is said to make a good hedge.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Frequently used in the region for a long time, in a variety of exposures. One near us here is a small tree, if still present after the original property was subdivided.

3. janetdoyle

Too bad these things lose "presence" in the marketplace, sometimes, as they are often just what someone is looking for.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've had two occasions in the past week to enjoy the scented flowers on these.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One in the Camano Island, WA (Island County) garden has been a cloud of flowers recently. It is now well above head height.

6. janetdoyle

Wonderful. I have learned so much since 2006, when we moved from Nova Scotia [roses, lilacs, Weigelas, hydrangeas] about the local plant "stars", and this forum has helped a lot. Books have helped too, fortunately Pacific NW gardening has been written about pretty thoroughly. It will be a while before my Osmanthus burkwoodii reaches above head height, but it is now about hip or waist height and has filled out nicely.