Orchids where to buy them?!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by addypalmer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. addypalmer

addypalmer Active Member

My orchid collection is growing but its mainly phals and cyms that can be found at garden works or home depot. My question is; does anybody know of anywhere in the lower mainland (Vancouver) that sells more orchids? or even online? I've been reading up on fragrant orchids, would like to try my hand with one!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There's a nursery in Richmond at 13480 Westminster Hwy called T.K.Y. Nursery that I haven't been to in quite awhile. I think they're now called Colorful Seasons Nursery and Landscape. They have numerous varieties of orchid. Ask to see a gentleman by the name of Alex.

3. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

I have no knowledge of how to get orchids over the border but Mt Baker Orchid society is having their yearly sale and display at Skagit Valley nursery in Mt Vernon Wa (about 40 min south of the border) this weekend. There is always a wide range of orchid types and often several fragrant varieties.

4. Ryan Young

Ryan Young New Member

Hi addy you may be interested in the Vancouver Orchid Society plant sale coming up at VanDusen August 17th, i believe there will be some vendors, also often members have plants for sale at the monthly meetings (every 4th Wed of the month - except in July Aug Dec) next meeting is June 26th. New members welcome!

I know that Hawaiian Tropical Botanics on Westminster Hwy at 7 road sells Brazillian species.

If you want to order online Paramount (in Victoria) Forrestview (Aggassiz) or Cloud's orchids in Ontario are good sources.

5. yuju

yuju Member

Like someone else suggested, Hawaiian Botanicals is worth a look locally. I bought some masdevallias and dendrobiums from them a few months ago. Some of their plants aren't the healthiest (orchids can be finicky). I've attached photos of a few: Dendrobium senile and Masdevallia decumana. For scale, they're in 2.5" pots.

Check their website www.hawaiianbotanicals.com for an updated stocklist of their Ecuador and Thailand orchid imports.

I've also ordered from Paramount orchids. It was a few years ago when they were still in Alberta; I was happy with the plants although they were a bit pricey with added shipping... but I guess we don't collect orchids to save money. I'm not sure if shipping will be cheaper now that they've moved to Vancouver Island.

Attached Files:

6. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

7. addypalmer

addypalmer Active Member

I discovered a great guy that grows cymbs and oncs out in langley he is only on eBay and his seller name is superorchids $10 to 15 an orchid and you can pick up and avoid the cost of shipping!

8. nighthawk

nighthawk New Member

Good luck with your orchids!

I don't know the ins and outs of how you could buy orchids from US vendors, so I'm afraid I'm no help with that.

But, I just want to wish you good growing. I have a few orchids and am getting more addicted every day. I started out with a cymbidium a few years ago. It was so rock-hardy and forgiving that I was deluded into thinking..."Growing orchids? Hey, this is easy!" lol

I've managed to kill several orchids, since then. But, the addiction continues.

I don't know how much you like to use the internet. But, there are a few good, helpful discussion forums out there....Orchidboard, Orchidgeeks, Orchidsforum, and others. Lots of support and encouragement (=enablers).

Have fun!