Orchids at UBC Botanical Garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following question was received via email:

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is any connection between the UBC botanical garden and orchids. Someone told me that you were famous for them, but I can't find a thing about orchids on your website. Can you help me?

Thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello,

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, UBC Botanical Garden does not currently have a large collection of orchids. Historically, there was a fair collection of native orchids in the British Columbia Native Garden, but that collection has dwindled to only a few survivors.

The reasons for this include theft (a major problem with orchids) and lack of funds to maintain or renew the collection. Orchids are notoriously difficult to establish in a cultivated setting, and must be constantly renewed from collected seed (orchids are never collected as plants except in "rescue" situations from construction or development).

Sorry to disappoint! I'm unaware of any gardens in British Columbia that feature orchids, so my suggestion is enjoy them in their native habitat.

3. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

There are a few orchids in the E.H. Lohbrunner Alpine Garden here at the botanical garden. They are known as Dactylorhiza. When they entered the garden some years ago, they were Dactylorhiza maculata and Dactylorhiza fuchsii; however, in the many years in between then and now, hybrid swarms have developed, and we simply label them as 'Dactylorhiza hybrids'. They are found seeding happily about the garden, but they originate (as in nature) in the Europe section in the alpine garden. They normally grow in wet places in Europe, but have adapted to various locations in the garden.
    We also grow a number of Bletilla striata, the famous Japanese terrestrial orchid. It slowly spreads by rhizomes to form colonies, and is quite simple to grow in humus and shade. I hope this helps, at this late date.
    Brent Hine
    Curator
    E.H. Lohbrunner Alpine Garden
    UBC Botanical Garden & Cetnre for Plant Research

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2003
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is an old thread, but the title works. We found two orchids today. One of the gardeners told us this is Dactylorhiza purpurella, in the European section of the Alpine Garden.
    Dactylorhiza-purpurella_UBCBG_Cutler_20180530_133635.jpg Dactylorhiza-purpurella_UBCBG_Cutler_20180530_133647.jpg

Not far away was this group of Epipactus gigantea. It's a hefty-sounding name for a little plant.
    Epipactus-gigantea_UBCBG_Cutler_20180530_133849.jpg Epipactus-gigantea_UBCBG_Cutler_20180530_133901.jpg

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I saw these as I was leaving the entrance plaza today, thought they were Spathoglottis ground orchids from the leaves, which I saw in a lot of new plantings in Waikiki, but the label says Bletilla striata, Chinese ground orchid, and they do look like what's shown on the internet for this species.
    Bletilla-striata_UBCBG_Cutler_20180602_172111.jpg Bletilla-striata_UBCBG_Cutler_20180602_172118.jpg Bletilla-striata_UBCBG_Cutler_20180602_172137.jpg