Orchid?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by hiking Pat, Aug 20, 2020.

1. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

I thought this was a green bog orchid but not sure now - Seen at Powderface Ridge, near Bragg Creek, Alberta on July 20, 2020

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Twayblade orchid (Listera)

hiking Pat likes this.
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I didn't bother checking and am not surprised. Merely because there has been so much reinterpretation of wild plant species in later years. Looking now at Flora of the Pacific Northwest - Second Edition (2018, University of Washington Press) I see that Ben Legler went with Neottia. Something I think I noticed before actually.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It seems we in western North America are the recipients of a slightly disproportionate amount of re-interpretation. The modern genetic techniques and accompanying critical re-observations have separated out a number of species that were once thought to be western North American extensions of eastern North American or European species (though I don't think that is the case with Neottia)