Orchid Cactus?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Laticauda, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I bought this as an Epiphyllum (one year old seedling.)

I hope I have it set up right, but my main question is, "what is this new growth?"

Is it the "areal roots" I've read about, or are they flower spikes beginning? When it was shipped to me, it was rather cold, and the shipper didn't insulate the plant at all. It was very rubbery and soft when I got it, I honestly didn't think it was going to make it. Now, after a few months of leave it and wait, it's showing new growth. It originally had two of these long "stems" growing out its sides, the one you see in the picture, and one on the other side of the "leaf" but further up, above the current soil level. The other one was very withered and sick looking, so I pulled it off. What's left is a hard, almost woody nub.

Also, any other help on getting this plant to thrive, would be very helpful! Thank you!

p.s. How does my set up look? I used potting soil mixed with orchid moss (I've always known it as sphagnum moss) equal parts, and then the moss is over the top of the "soil" level. I have a peice of cork bark behind it with a plant pin holding the top portion of the cactus on the bark (for stability.)

TIA!!!
    Raychel

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the new growth looks like new leaf segments and it looks like it's not getting enough light as they look etoliated.

the stub was probably a new leaf segment as well.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I'm a little curious as to what that brown thing is behind your cactus? It might do better hanging closer to a window with brighter indirect light.

4. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

What brown thing? Which picture?

5. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Bluewing, it's the cork bark.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

bluewing:

this type of epi doesn't really need the cork bark - they would normally grow in the crooks of trees out in the rainforest...so, it's similar to how it'd grow naturally. not quite the same. it's perfectly okay to leave it attached to it though.

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Ahhh, ok. Thanks soccerdad:)