Oleander toxic

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Delyth, Mar 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Delyth

Delyth New Member

Hi
    I recently bought an Oleander plant having no idea how incredibly toxic it was. I'm unfortunately unable to return it as it was final sale due to Covid. I plan on keeping it outside under shelter until June. Just how dangerous are these plants? Information on the internet is pretty alarming! I have an 8 year old daughter who knows not to touch it and some friends who bring dogs around. Thank you!

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Delyth and welcome to these Forums.
    It sounds as though the proximity of your Oleander plant may be more threatening than is comfortable for you so, if that is the case, you will not relax unless you remove it. Personally, I never worried about whether plants in my garden were potentially toxic or not because my children and pets were not inclined to eat them.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Commonly used landscape ornamental in suitable climates, in both private and public spaces.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

As long as you know not to eat it or burn it, you'll be OK. Poisoning only happens when people don't take care.

Not sure how hardy it'll be in Vancouver though. It can't be grown outdoors in Britain except for the very mildest localities, and your winters can get colder than ours.

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I wouldn't trust this plant anywhere near a child under the age of 5, but yours being over 8 and as you say knows not to touch it, you should be fine. Tbh it's a very good way of educating your daughter in the world of botany..

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Obviously you do not need to answer specifically what you paid — $$. - so maybe for the price, your peace of mind is worth far more, esp if you have visitor pets for whom care at vet adds up $

I love the odd looking (dead looking) Hawaiian oleander (lei flower scented blossoms) - it’s a heady scent for sure

But - worries about pets and others - we stopped poinsettias in our home yrs ago due to young curiosity and indoor pet salad eaters (then one tried snacking on the fake silk version!)

there are risks everywhere obviously - so weigh your comfort level and so forth with price you paid and if you do divest, maybe someone nearby would be a happy adopter.

And outdoors in Vancouver BC - not a good prospect for plant.

Acerholic likes this.