Old Tree NEW growth !

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Dutchman, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

I have about a 30 year old Silver Dollar Eucalyptus tree (Eucyluptus Polyanthemos) approximately 40' high with a 52" trunk, 10" in diameter and 38" in circumferance. Recently I noticed 4 shoots sprouting from the trunk. One on each side of the tree. (See pix) This is the first time this has happened since I planted it. Is it possible to establish roots somehow? I would like to do something with the new growth but I can't let them grow that close to the ground. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you. :-)

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Although it is possible to propagate eucalyptus by rooting the cuttings, they root with difficulty even when given special care. Eucalyptus seeds are germinated by the usual form of propagation. Sow in sandy, sterilized soil, and transplant the new seedlings to pots, since they are difficult to transplant when larger. - Millet

3. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

Thank you, Millet, for your response and information. It gives me something to experiment with. Fortunately I have very good soil here. If I dig down 10" I could probably sell it in town.