Old pumpkin/watermelon patch

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by C.Wick, Apr 3, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I've an area of my garden that I used to grow pumpkins and watermelon in. It did a wonderful job for both vines but this year my landlord is threatening to run my 'evil vines' over. So, I decided on a different type of plantage for that area. It recieves sunlight thru-out the day and is well drained soil at the top of a hill. I recently put a layer of compost and some manure on this area. Any suggestions on helping keep this soil well fertilized for a variety of plants this year without burning it out? Or should I even NEED to add more............I've not tested it before but due to the amount and size of the pumpkins and watermelons I figured it was doing well.

2. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Your soil sounds pretty good to me. Well drained, recent addition of compost and manure. Your previous plantings (melons) are fairly mellow, they don't just deplete the soil and suck all the nutrients out like a tobacco plant.

If it was me, I'd probably just go with it the way it is and I bet your plants this year will be just fine. A soil test is always good though, just to keep up on whats going on in there. Have any idea what you're going to plant yet?

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx for the reply...Although not big on tobacco, I'm planning on mostly veggies...lots of peppers/tomatoes/eggplant.....with some bordering herbs. I live in an area that allows a very shallow amount of space for growing but I try to use up every ounce available. I use an old pair of cowboy boots for my strawberry plants, I've bricked an area along my sidewalk (partial shade) for dill, parsley, and basil...i've a large area bricked out for 2 varieties of mint...the rest of my front area is flower bulbs thru-out the seasons (partial shade)........on the side of my house (full light all day) i grow wild flowers, clamatis, tomatoes, okra and this year will be digging up a corner I've not been very happy with....in the back beside the 'patch' I collected fallen branches and made my son a teepee with morning glories climbing and blooming all year. HOPEFULLY this summer will be as successful...
    I've been very lucky with my gardens...considering this orange and white cat keeps running around in it (when he's not in my house) and the neighbor kids seem to enjoy stomping around in it to knock on windows. I've never tried fertilizers before but someone had said if i put a light layer of the manure compost it'd help freshen the soil...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      314.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      257 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      286.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      251.7 KB
      Views:
  4. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Sounds like you've got it going your way! Those morning glories look good. Yeah, the manure and compost are always helpful. I would probably do a soil test this fall after your last harvest. that way any ammendments can have the winter months to get good and "digested" into the soil in preparation for the next spring.

You mentioned okra, I've got one jar of stewed tomato and okra left from last year. I can hardly wait till it's time to get this years okra started!