Oklahoma City Magnolia tree

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by hallow74, May 11, 2006.

1. hallow74

hallow74 Member

I have a relatively young little gem magnolia tree in my back yard though I can't be certain as to age because I have only lived on the property for three years. It is about 12 feet tall with a middle bush diameter of about 5 feet. It appears to have never been pruned and has branches extending off of the base of the trunk at ground level. It has some roots coming through the top soil where the grass has died due to shade from the tree. We have bermuda grass in Oklahoma City and it dies without max sun. I am not a tree expert or even an amateur, so I stick to my pepper garden. Anyway, I would love to cut the tree down because it loses leaves year round and this is in a high foot traffic area. I think magnolias are nice looking (and my wife won't allow me to cut it down) but this one always seems thin with leaves always falling. The leaves are a constant nuisance and get everywhere. Is this normal for magnolias? Should I try and cover the roots with soil and mulch? Is pruning an option? Help me before I'm suffocated by the next onslaught of leaves. If losing leaves all the time is normal then please tell me so I can face the reality of it. Seriously, thanks for any suggestions.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) drops leaves all summer. All you can do is put a bed around it and mulch it, it might grow better without the grass close by anyway.

3. kalmia

kalmia Active Member

Do you mow this area? If so, just run the mower over the leaves, and they will be shreaded up.

I like M. grandiflora, so I'd put up with it. Mine are only about 6-7 feet tall.