Okay to heavily prune back a mimosa tree?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by marymcb, Aug 26, 2018.

1. marymcb

marymcb New Member

i live in nanaimo, bc. is it ok to give a mimosa a heavy pruning in fall after flowering as it's growing into the neighbors yard and getting too tall to manage. if I do, will it give off shoots the same as a cherry does with hard pruning?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

marymcb likes this.
  3. marymcb

marymcb New Member

just wondering how much I can prune back the mimosa without causing damage?

4. marymcb

marymcb New Member

just checking again as to how much can prune back a mimosa tree without causing damage? I couldn't find any information regarding this so hoping someone can recommend.

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

There doesn't appear to be a limit to how much is too much. If I were to cut one to the ground in Florida, either the trunk or the roots would send up shoots. If your tree is small enough to selectively prune for thinning out the crown or shaping it, that might be your best bet. Instead of just shearing it off, you would select a branch and nip it back to the trunk or to the larger branch. If you do this, the general rule is to take no more than a third of the entire canopy. If you shear sections of it off, you may get rather unattractive water sprouts at cut ends.

marymcb likes this.