no flowers on crab(s) and hawthorn?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Etown gardener, May 30, 2008.

1. Etown gardener

Etown gardener Member

I have a Shaughnessy Cohen crabapple in my front (south-facing) yard that I planted two years ago. Last spring it bloomed profusely, yet this spring, there were only 4 blooms on the whole tree.

We also planted a Thunderchild crab in our back yard last fall, and though it leafed out beautifully, there was not one blossom. Our other Thunderchild at the opposite end of our back yard did bloom.

Our Toba Hawthorn planted two years ago has not had one single flower in the last two seasons, though it appears healthy and leafs out well.

What gives? We fertilize our trees every spring before the trees leaf out, they get enough water... I am confused as to why there are no flowers on these trees! Is there a simple explanation to this?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Two things to look for would be shading from other trees or buildings and lack of good top growth. These should be growing noticeably larger each year.

3. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

You would have to check on this, but at least some trees when given N will spend their energy making more shoots and leaves.

Also: Last fall in Edmonton we had mild weather the first 3 weeks of November (lows in the -4 -7 range) followed by -31 during the last week. In lots of trees flower buds are set the summer before, and the flower buds are more sensitive to cold than leaf buds are.

You can also get bud damage on a tree close to the house on the south side. YOu get a warm pocket on windless sunny days. The roots are still frozen, but the air is warm enough to dry out the buds. This usually is a problem only when the tree is within 10 feet or so of the house.