Newbie Succulent Question

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by beccam, Oct 10, 2006.

1. beccam

beccam Member

I live in colorful colorado - I planted my very first succulents in my new backyard planter in the spring - I wasn't quite sure how they'd do, how big they'd get, etc. Turns out they sprawled out beautifully as a cover, and flowered these bright orange flowers all summer long (I just love the color). Now that fall is here, I'm not quite sure what to do with them. Will they last through the winter? Assuming they will, do I need to do anything special to ensure they will bloom just as nice next year?

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

It would all depend on how hardy the plant is. If it is suited to the climate then it should certainly flower again every year. Do you know the name of it? There isn't any trick to succulents... just very well drained soil and very light feeding.

3. beccam

beccam Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't know the name of it - I'm really hoping it's suited for the colorado winter climate, and come back flowering again next year.

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Just to be safe, why don't you dig up a clump and bring it inside over the winter. It's a nice plant, so it would be a shame to loose it all.