Newbie dilemma on small space gardening

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by GreenGarden, Feb 16, 2007.

1. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

Green Garden, don't let the composting and manure talk scare you. You may not be ready for all these details, although it is great information. For a small space garden you may not need all this info just yet.
    I just noticed in your previous note that you did not buy your plants yet. Sorry, I did not read it carefully the first time. What are you thinking about getting. Since you did not buy yet, maybe I could suggest some compatible plants that would make a nice "dish garden". some people also refer to these plantings a color bowls, I rework mine spring and fall, and sometimes summer for the fun of it!!!
    I potted up a dish garden today that has (2)snapdragons in 4 " pots, toward the back, (1)Million bells (4" pot)toward the front, small start of ajuga for interest, and small piece of sword fern toward the back( for when the snaps finish) and some variegated English Ivy(front to drape over the side). I used a 14" planter that is about 6 inches tall. It is plastic, and I paid about $4.00 for it. Of course, I don't know what is available where you are, I can't wait to hear what's on your mind...thinking spring in Louisiana!!!

2. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

Newt, thanks a bunch, I don't need spam , just got it cleaned up!! Worse than weeds. lol.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Green Garden, glad you're getting some good info out of this.
    Fill up the pot with soil to about 3" or 4" from the top. Plop your multiple plants into the soil and fill in the empty spaces. GENTLY press the soil around the rootballs and water. Make sure there is about an inch of space from the top of the soil to the top of the rim of the pot so you can water. What the mature size of the plants will be will determine how many you can stuff into the pot.

When I pot up annuals I use Osmocote or any convenient slow release fertilizer. Mix it into the soil you've put into the pot and not just at the bottom of the hole against the roots or it can burn the roots of your plants. That way a little is released each time you water for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. You won't need to add any additional fertilizer during that time.

For my houseplants, edibles and whenever supplemental fertilizer is needed, my preference is an organic fertilizer. Synthetics like Miracle Gro leave behind residual salts and are like steroids. They can cause lots of lush and juicy growth that attracts insect pests. Fish emulsion combined with seaweed or kelp is a great one. The fish emulsion smells bad, but once you water the smell dissipates. I also like using a tablespoon of milk in the watering can. The plants love the calcium and minerals and it encourages blooms. Cooled water from veggies, hard or soft boiled eggs that has nothing added to the water is also great.

If you will be using fertilizer in your watering can you can fertilize every 2 weeks in spring and summer. For most houseplants you can fertilize once a month in the fall and winter.

Nope

As long as you don't have saucers under your pots you can let the rain do the work for you. No need to protect the plants unless you are growing cactus, succulents or something that prefers desert conditions.

You can use pot feet to elevate your pots so they drain better and don't stain the surface they are sitting on. Some are really fun.
    http://www.glenfarmsgourmet.com/Images/HT_Pot_Feet.jpg
    http://www.anison.com/public/products.php?cat_id=11
    http://www.plantstuff.com/images/PS061.jpg

Newt

4. Newt

Violetbaby, you gave me a giggle with this.

Newt

5. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Hi Violetbaby.

Thanks a bunch for your replies. And yes I do needall the help that I can get from u guys. Its really kind of you to offer me to help out with my garden

Please so send me the links.

I guess I will have to look up for Dish garden..But could u just explain me if it is just a name for the plant combinations that u use in the container or is it a different type of gardening techcnique like water gardening. Sorry if it sounds stupid. But did not have the time to check on the internet for more information on the same.

Thanks again.

GreenGarden

6. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Hi Newt

Thanks for the reply.
    Is this fertilizer different than the one you use in the normal way..I mean by adding directly to the soil.

Also was wondering while I was just typing it out do I have to change my potting soil frequently or does it ahve a time span ..

7. Newt

Green Garden, organic fertilizers for pots are usually a liquid and are mixed with water. Then you water the plants. So it is added directly to the soil, but in the water when you water your plants.

I have some plants that have been in the same soil for 20 years. When I repot the roots have completely filled the pot and I don't unwind them, I just repot in a new pot that is 2" larger, adding fresh potting soil to the new pot.

Maybe these sites about how to repot plants and more will help you.
    http://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm
    http://mgonline.com/articles.html

Newt

8. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Thanks Newt
    The sites were really informative.

9. Newt

You're welcome. :)

Newt

10. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

Peat based mixes can become a problem fairly quickly for some plants, so it would depend on the plant and the type of soil one chose.

Newt, the sheep and goats were a joke. Goats are little devils and sheep not far behind. They don't seem to mind getting zapped by an electric fence if they want to get out. And can they ever climb (goats). Chasing animals that escape regularly is not my idea of fun---do enough of that to help out neighbours. I thought seriously about ducks and chickens, but with avian flu creeping ever closer, I have decided against that. The manure we get in bags looks to be many years old, and honestly, I have not seen that it does anything beneficial. I stopped buying bagged manure many years ago. I have read many sources that say that the nutrient content of bagged manure generally is about nil. I will find another source at some point, but being a "newcomer" here, I don't have the right contacts yet. Mushroom compost is available in large quantities.

I am extremely careful about what goes into my composters. I don't put some things in that supposedly are okay (like eggshells that have been boiled). Unfortunately, when you have grain being stored everywhere around you, you get rats no matter how careful you are. I could give up the composters, but they would still be here.

About 2/3 of my property is zoned as "significant conservation land". What it really means is that it is under water most of the year. It is shallow and generally non-moving, so mosquitoes are a serious problem. The water covers many acres (not just my property) so I would go broke trying to larvacide that. I do use larvacide in a fountain on my patio as it does get larva in the water on occasion. That is why I am thinking of a cistern. Of course, a properly set up rain barrel shouldn't cause problems, but the powers that be are frowning greatly on them, because people don't pay attention to what is going on in them or just leave them open.

On the issue of mulching pots, I do on occasion and then take it off if it is really rainy (to prevent mildew problems). It really does help keep the watering down, the soil cooler, and protects the soil somewhat from compaction caused by heavy rain. I do have to water a lot, because I have clay pots, large about 30" in diameter, but they are still clay. GreenGarden, this is something you should be aware of. Plastic and fiberglass pots will not dry out as quickly as clay, which is porous and wicks the water outward. Also, darker colours absorb heat, which is not particularly good for some plants, ones that like a cooler soil.

GreenGarden, no question is stupid. We all asked questions when we began gardening, and we still are. Gardening covers so many different areas that it is impossible to ever know it all. It is a constant source of learning, and in some cases, re-learning. Maybe that is part of what makes gardening so great---you never run out of ideas and questions and experiences to share and discuss with others.

11. biggam

biggam Active Member

Quite an entertaining and informative thread! I have a comment and a question in reference to recent replies.

Osmocote or other slow-release fertilizer can be put right on the surface, although mixing it in is probably better if you're potting up.
    Would this be appropriate to mix into pots? My impression was that a mushroomer producer will make a nice compost, grow a crop of mushrooms on it, then sell it, and it still has a lot of nutrients in it. Use it like any other compost?

12. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

Green Garden,
    http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00063.asp
    This is a site in which I agree with most of what they have to say about repotting. Notice that they give several different alternatives about some things.

I hope the plants you will be transplanting will not be as rootbound as the ones in the pic. lol. you will see what I mean. I also don't agree with always trimming the top 1/3 of the plant. Depending on what type of plant you have you may be cutting out the most important part, you will have to use your "good" judgement or let us know what you have selected and someone here can probably advise you on what or how much to prune off when transplanting.

What are your temperatures about now? We had 71F today, Fun!!! I had an orange hibiscus open today. Ahhh! beautiful!! I am right smack of the border of sone 8 and 9. I really need to learn more about technology and learn how to post pictures. I wish I could have shared it with ya'll. Is it ok to say ya'll?

This will be a BIG determination for what type of plants you will what to grow. If you are actually in zone 9 you should be just about through with frosts and cold in your area.

It's time to get out there and get bold. Are you in town, burbs, or country? Just curious. About what amount of square feet are you talking about? Sounds like maybe a 10'x12".
    If hibiscus is in your budget, I think you would have enough light for one. They can be very rewarding, remember, the bloom only lasts for about 1 day, some of the new hybrids are lasting 2, yet the blooms are such a pleasure, and they usually bloom well. You will also decide what to plant according to your budget. If this is your first year, you may get great pleasure from annuals which are usually less expensive. If you have a good nursery in your area, try to give them a chance to serve you. you will get lots of free info that you cannot get at the "Big Box". Also keep in mind that (at least in our part of the country) Plants trucked in from out of state have been (doped) with growth retardent, and usually been treated with a chemical to "hold" them while they are being transported, and the grower does not have to water them as much for shipping, sometimes the plants have spent a couple of days in a truck with no light.

sorry if this is boring, and it may not make you much difference now, but this is sort of my pet peeve. I will leave this subject for now, hope you have a reputable plant nursery in your area.

Ok, let's talk about dish gardens/color bowls This would be a pot/planter with a number of compatable ( have the same care/light requirements) plants in it. check out this site for pic. http://www.navletsgardens.com/how_to/how_to_archive/plant_a_color_bowl.html
    One site I looked at said it is a "miniature landscape in a pot"
    I find they put too much in the pot to start with, I like to see mine fill in, I usually start with smaller plants. Depends on if you want instant color or you are willing to wait.

Hope you get a chance to go shopping and get a start. If frost is over, get started and experiment...start small, I did not even look to see what type of town Freemont is. I think I am excited about your small space garden. You will love it, and I hope it will be a green haven for you to enjoy your plants. Keep us posted. TTFN

13. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

Hortfreak, is it aggrevating to live in an area that is "zoned". Is that federal or local? Can you alter it if you would so choose? Just curious. I know this is off subject, but very interesting. What grows in the "significant conservation land". would this be sort of the same thing as our wetlands in Louisiana. If you think we should move this conversation to new thread, please do.

I must agree with biggam this thread is quite entertaining, Thanks Greengarden for getting us started. I have gotten a few smiles too, especially about the sheep and goats. Plant people can be so fun. Later ya'll

14. biggam

biggam Active Member

There is a button in the "Additional Options" area below the reply typing box that you can use to attach a picture. It is definitely okay to say ya'll! It wasn't clear that sheep or goats was a joke, but it was funny to find out! There was a "Ha Ha", in the same reply as the sheep or goats comment, about buying a bag of compost -- hard to know what you'd get, since compost can vary so much depending on what goes in, how it's managed. I've heard of muck soil being bagged and sold as compost, which would have an abundance of weed seeds and would not improve soil like real compost; maybe a small amount of real compost is mixed in so the labelling isn't completely illegal. I don't know if this was done once by one company or is significantly occurring now, but I heard of it from a university professor. I take it "mosquito dunks" = larvacide?

15. hortfreak

Biggam, I wish I could send videos of the antics of the goats if you have never seen them. Many laughs. They are quite entertaining.

I live in a very sparsely populated area, which is why there are not a lot of "normal" things, such as compost in a bag, available to me. That is the reason for the "ha, ha". The mushroom compost is available, because there is a very large grower here in Prince Edward County. So, for $60Cdn. delivered, I can get a truckload---about 6 sq. yds. Not bad. Yes, it can be used in pots, but you have to be careful with how much you use. Also, it generally tends to be full of nasty chemicals, and some people complain about mushrooms popping up in areas where it has been used.

I had never heard the expression "mosquito dunks", but yes, they would be larvacide. Newt, are they in tablet form? I use granules, which is all I have seen in the stores.

Violetbaby, I agree with you about pruning off the top when repotting plants. Unless there is significant root being removed or a plant is leggy or needs reshaping, I don't cut plants back. You have the luxury of having lots of time to grow and enjoy annuals, so you can buy wee little things and wait for them to fill out. In the cold, frozen areas of the United States and Canada, most of us buy bigger, because we would never get to enjoy them otherwise. This is a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. I would prefer to grow them myself from seed. I do grow some annuals from seed but not many---space limitations. I am really a perennial gardener and that includes perennials in pots. I grow almost all of my perennials from seed.

Violetbaby, I am going to move to another forum for answers about conservation areas. I think a certain person with the initials DM might really bounce us out of here for that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  16. Newt

This is a fun thread. To add to the pictures discussion, they need to already be somewhere in your computer. Here's how to post pictures, called 'Attachments' here.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_attachment_explain

Here's all he FAQ's.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_user_maintain

Guess the joke is on me with the goats, but at least you now all know the 'poop' - pun intended.

Yes

Yes, they are like a large donut. They are used in ponds as each dunk covers 100 sq feet of area.
    http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page336.html

Here's some interesting info on mushroom compost.
    http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/mushroom-compost.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_mushroom_compost

Newt

17. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Thanks biggam and violetbaby for the replies..
    I really appreciate the effort that everyone is taking in helping me out.
    And yes it is really getting interesting . It all started off with a newbie asking abt gardening and getting a lot more information in the process.

OK but now here comes another one now..

What r the tools that i need for container gardening..like to trim and repot..

Thanks again.

GreenGarden

18. hortfreak

Newt, I know we are a bit off topic, but how long would a dunk last? Being Canadian, we would probably call them mosquito pucks. Actually, I think I will look for them when I get to a "big town" as I might try treating some portion of my natural water area, at least closer to the house. I know that this might be a waste, but as the water in the summer is generally non-flowing, it might help.

Thanks for all the links. Very helpful (saves me tons of time with my slowest speed internet).

19. GreenGarden

GreenGarden Member

Hi violetbaby
    Sorry I could not reply in detail earlier
    The site is really informative. Thanks for sharing the info.
    We just moved in so its kind of a settling in stage going on right now.
    So chances r today I might get a chance to make a visit to the local nursery. As u said It's time to get out there and get bold. And stop with the theory and do it practically now.

Do post some pictures if u r able to . It will be a good boost for my confidence. U guessed it right.

I guess I am in zone 8b or 9..

U guessed it right.

Green Garden

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  20. Newt

Each 'puck' lasts 30 days. Not bad really, and you are very welcome!

Newt

21. hortfreak

It occurred to me (in the middle of the night, of course) that one thing we have not addressed in all of this is the products available to aid water retention in the soil of pots. I have tried Soil Sponge, but frankly, I couldn't see that it helped retain moisture at all. I seemed to water those pots as frequently as the others that did not have it added into the medium. I have not tried the "gel" pellets. I have heard both good and bad. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products?

22. hortfreak

Newt, 30 days puts a rather different light on this. That is very good. I hadn't really thought about it, but the need to add the granules frequently to my fountain is probably due to having to top up the water frequently. Thanks for the tip.

23. Newt

Hortfreak, I haven't used any water retention products but I had a friend that did. It was a few years ago when it first came on the market, but the get stuff turned into a gooey mess.

If the need to water many pots becomes an issue then a drip irrigation system would probably be the best way to go.

For a small fountain I use the granules. The 'pucks' are better for 100' sq feet of water area or more.

Newt

24. hortfreak

I agree with you about the drip irrigation. It probably is less time consuming anyway. It is so easy to pop those little things in and is really a better way to water anyway.

Your comment about the gel is similar to the negative reports I have heard.

Newt, I apologize for my joke. I did not mean to make you the butt of the joke. It really was just one of those off-hand things one says on occasion.

Violetbaby, my answer to your question about my conservation zoning is in the HortBoard forum. Hope you found it.

25. Newt

Hortfreak,

Don't worry about a thing. I'm not sure what joke you mean. Are you referring to the goats? If so, no problem, I thought it was funny too. See, you don't need to apologize, but that is so kind of you.

Newt