New UBC Botanical Garden website

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Katie Teed, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Katie Teed

Katie Teed Member

Hi everyone, some of you may have noticed already but we've just launched a new website for UBC Botanical Garden. It went live at the end of the day yesterday and replaces our old website that experienced problems in the fall and had to be taken down.

http://botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/
    You can find the forums by clicking on "Learn" and then "Garden Advice" to find both our forums and Hortline. You can also find the forums by clicking on "Garden Advice" in our Quick Links right on our homepage.

Like all new websites, it is a work in progress so if you have feedback for us please let us know. You can PM me or post in this thread. We have a number of different ideas for content that we will be adding including more photos, getting our blog back up and running, the Botany Photo of the Day and more... stay tuned.

Thanks!

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. Katie Teed

Katie Teed Member

Thanks Wendy! I was just reading your message about the broken links. They all worked just before launch but it looks like something has happened to a few them them when the site transitioned over. I am fixing the rentals page and would love it if you could let me know of any other ones that are broken. The best way would be to send a list of any ones that include the page and the link that is broken via email to garden.marketing [at] ubc.ca - Thanks!

4. wcutler

Re: Contacts, it says there will be phone numbers and addresses for "key staff", but there are no staff names at all. I would love to see a list of who's who at the garden, the directors, the staff, the gardeners, all the people we see around when we're there. With short bios. And contact info. There used to be that info.

I hope I didn't miss any broken links - I tried to check them all, have sent emails to garden.marketing.

5. wcutler

I have to ask, the cheery yellow flower that's one of the three featured photos on the new website home page, is that the west coast native Erythranthe guttata, previously called Mimulus guttatus? And whose stunning photo is that?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it is an Erythranthe. I suspect it is the one you mention, but there is a bit of discussion among some botanists at the moment as to whether some of the Vancouver Island populations are their own species (and this may have been collected from one of those sites). I don't know whose photograph it is.