New to the Forums in Western North Carolina

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ken Ramos, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Ken Ramos

Ken Ramos Member

Greetings to everyone here on the UBC Botanical Garden Forums. I was pleased to find a forum or website that had an areas specifically for Lichens and Fungi. I have only recently began a study of lichens and have also been involved in the study of Myxomycota or Myxomycetes.

Recently I took a sample specimen of a particular lichen, the identity of the lichen I am unsure of but while examining the specimen under the objectives of a stereomicroscope, I noticed this pecular organism lying in the center of the apothecia or on the hymenium of the lichen. I have also sent a copy of this photograph to an acquantance of mine at Harvard University, to see if she can find someone who might also know what it is. The organism displays 10 to 12 long strands radiating from the spherical or round body. At first I thought of a germinating spore since the hymenium is the fertile area of the fruiting body. I also found another of these creatures lying along side the apothecia on the thallus of the lichen also.

The attached images were taken utilizing a Meiji EMZ-13TR stereomicroscope with a Sony DSC-W5 five mega pixel camera attached to the photo tube and positioned over a 10X WF ocular. The image magnifications are at approx. 50X. Illumination was provided by the Meiji built in halogen illuminator with a blue diffuser.

Attached Files:

• 21A.jpg
      21A.jpg
      File size:
      132 KB
      Views:
    • 22A.jpg
      22A.jpg
      File size:
      147.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't have any notion as to what it might be. From what sort of environment did you collect the lichen sample?

3. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

It might be a mite! Look at some of these pics under the order Acari...
    Link and take notice of the "filamented cup" one.

4. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Ken Ramos

Ken Ramos Member

Thanks for the replies everyone and I checked out your links but this is definitely not a mite or a spider. It does not move when provoked and just...well sits there. I count at least twelve or more appendages, way to many for a mite or spider. The lichen was taken from a dead hardwood tree limb. The organism is resting in the hymenium of the apothecia. The lichen itself seems to be squamulose and measures approx 22.5 cm X 21 cm, the largest of the apothecia is about 1mm, making the organism resting within it (just guessing) .75mm or less. A good handlens or stereomicroscope is required for observation. Thanks again all, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.