New to plants, aloe vera question

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by inaiiiwhile, Sep 3, 2006.

1. inaiiiwhile

inaiiiwhile Member

Hello!

I just received a bunch of indoor plants as a gift, and they're all great-- but the aloe vera plant that I just got, which is probably around 2 feet, is coiled downwards so that it looks like a cascading plant, but I'm pretty sure that it's not supposed to be that way. It's falling downward and is twisted, and I'm not sure if I should just let it fall like this, or do something to allow it to grow upwards. Is the stem too weak? Do aloe plants naturally do this? I'm lost.. right now I've sort of tied it with a string so it's going upwards, but I doubt it'll suddenly just start growing right now.

Any suggestions?

Tamara

2. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

Hey Tamara,
    I have a few plant books and they have some pics of Aloe vera plants and they do grow that way. with some leaves bending down and some growing upwards. Their pretty like that I think.can you send a pic?

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

There are quite a few varieties of Aloe, of which some grow as you have described. A picture would be helpful.

4. inaiiiwhile

inaiiiwhile Member

Here is a picture of the plant... it is tied upwards with a string for now but the stem that you can visibly see as crooked is usually completely horizontal and hanging off the edge of the pot... anyways, thanks for everybodys help:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g...rent=IMG_1247-1.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Tamara

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

If the bottom of the trunk/stem is soft, mushy, rotting in any way, then you do have a problem (common to aloes sometimes if not taken proper care of or overwatered) but if not, then you have a terrifically interesting plant!

6. inaiiiwhile

inaiiiwhile Member

Nope, not mushy! Just very crooked and interesting, I assume :-) Should I force her to grow upwards with string or let her hang? Will letting her hang affect the plant?

Can I trim an aloe?

7. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

i would put it in a bigger pot and let it go,trimming is completely up to you.they prune well and it wont hurt them

8. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

but remember lower leaves will stabalize plant somewhat,and pruning will force upward growth

9. Carol Ja

I'm not sure about aloes in pots, but I kmow that with other plants like Cycads will curl new growth if you move the pot around at all, causes all sorts of questions. Makes the plant look funny.
    There was a photo of the day pic a little while ago, a garden in California, there were loads of types of aloes, of which several had a twisty look to them.

10. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

wow I pictured some leaves bending down here and there and a little twist but thats cool. The pic I have in my book shows a Aloe vera plant that has about 65% of its foliage drapping kind of like a claw over it's pot. but thats cool. I would let keep going if it dosen't hurt the plant.

11. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

As previous posters have mentioned, there are many varieties of aloe. Personally, I have 4 varieties, each one I chose because of their very different growth habits and coloration. When mature and when flowering, many are quite impressive.

Given the wide variety of aloe, it is difficult to say if the particular one you have is doing anything abnormal. However, the photo you posted appears to be aloe vera or a close cousin. My aloe vera, although the coloration is very similar to yours, is fairly compact with very thick, fleshy foliage that tends to grow upward. I keep mine outdoors in full sun during the summer. Yours, if it is aloe vera, appears as if it may have grown in significantly less light, as evidence of the long, thin foliage and relatively thin trunk. Many plants that are seeking more light will adapt a similar growth strategy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It was an Agave border, though Lotusland has an extensive (and beautiful) collection of Aloe as well.

13. Carol Ja

Ha Ha, thanks Daniel, my memory is crap. I went to the website from that photo, and saw the aloes, definitely a place I would love to have a tour of when I'm not busy in my own garden.