Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Arzosahtoo, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Arzosahtoo

Arzosahtoo Member

Have just joined. I've gardened (indoor and outdoor) in Victoria, North Bay, Edmonton, Ottawa and now Calgary. Will eventually end up back on the West Coast.

Currently having difficulties with several trees and shrubs which could be drought-related or insect-related or just poor choices for the climate. Looking to establish a garden of sorts on Gabriola property (north end) which has been pretty much cleared.

Looking for information on several fronts:
    For Calgary:
    Jack rabbit damage control
    Ant damage control (they kill plants by burrowing in the roots I suspect - I am able to find the colonies by spotting the dying plants). All available ant poisons have not worked..best remedy so far is to stir up the soil and RAID. not pretty.
    Suggestions for edging plants that will grow on a south-facing slope and survive the winter Chinooks
    Any ideas why a formerly healthy Japanese Tree Lilac would have masses of blooms this year, no new growth, and look very thin and brittle? (could the ant colonies around the roots be the culprit? Or 3 prevous years of drought? Lots of rain this year.

For Gabiola:
    what's best to grow for hedging and deciduous trees? (more questions to follow!!)
    what are people doing for landscaping water?

any suggestions re above will be very welcome. I'm excited to have access to what appears to be a very knowledgeable group.