New member on the Sunshine Coast

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Margaret, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Have inherited plants which are well established in my new home and want to learn more about pruning rhodos, figs, grape vines, raspberries and apple and cherry trees. Grapes are very healthy and have produced well for last two years but should I be doing something to maintain this? We pruned back the new growth last year but the vines facing south west grow right up to the roof of our two story home and the main vines are still very long. How long will they live if properly treated? Should I be planting young plants to replace the originals? The vines are also our summer shade and therefore are very important for more than just the grapes! With the large fig tree (about 9ft tall) again should I prune and feed it? It seems to produce well every other year and although we get a second crop it does not have time to mature before winter. The rohodos just look a bit stragly and 'tired". How do I help them? They flowered well last year.
    Many thanks for any ideas.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Margaret, welcome to the UBCBG Forums. That sounds like quite a garden you took on when you moved into your new home. Grape vines do live a long time. Yours are probably in good shape. You can learn more in the Grape and Grape Vine Forum and read and ask questions about your fruit trees in the Fruit Trees Forum. Rhododendrons can be pruned right after they bloom.

Happy gardening!

3. Dogwood

Dogwood Member

Hi Margaret: I too am on the Sunshine Coast and my wife is a very avid gardener, coaxing many different plants to survive our somewhat shady location.
    My reason for posting is to find a person or group who will be financially able to take over a property up here that is as close to a botanical garden that I've ever seen. It is an old homestead and the owner spent several years training at Kew Gardens then returned to shape their own collection of rare and species Rhodos, trees and shrubs from around the world. The list is quite extensive and I will email it or post it if the moderator permits. The other half of this 5+ acres is second growth cedar and firs that are untouched since the fires of 1905. The reason I'm posting here is that this property is subdividable and a small group of like-minded conservationist gardening enthusiasts could each end up with a large acreage of the quality you may never see again, if they were to enter a group purchase. Alternately, a single philanthropic initiative would also serve the ultimate purpose of protecting and nurturing this rare parcel. It is located in Roberts Creek and is twenty minutes from the ferry. Please email me if you are interested. mike_carson@sunshine.net

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the info. Have already found good advice on the sight re raised beds and none-treated lumber and also about the fig which, by the way, is now covered with small fruit. Another question - can I transplant raspberry plants now as we have many, which I think have been seeded by birds, growing in "odd" places?
    Have tried to find the answer on the site but without success so I am obviously looking in the wrong place!
    PS Wish I had the resources to buy the property in Roberts Creek which Dogwood wrote about as it sounds to be quite the botanical treasure.