New leaves turning black on hydrangea

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by lily, Apr 5, 2008.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

My hydrangea is budding out and this morning I noticed that some some of the new leaves are beginning to turn black or a very dark brown. Some are curling. Please help as I have no idea what to do or what is wrong with it. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. lily

Here are a couple of photos to show you what I mean. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Lily, could it be frost damage ?

4. lily

Thankyou 'Chimera' ~I'm not sure but my husband looked at it and he said the same thing as you. He thought it might be frost damage too. I sure hope that is what it is and not some kind of a fungus. I'm not sure what I should do? Should I cut them off or leave them alone?

5. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

I think it's definitely frost damage. If the plant isn't too badly affected, then you can probably just leave the leaves alone, or you could remove them maybe when the plant is a bit more harden off - like May. It may be worth buying some horticultural fleece to throw over the plant at night if it looks like the weather is going to turn cold again, to stop further damage.

Happy Hydrangea-ing!

6. lily

Hi Robyn,
    Thank you very much for your reply. Thank goodness it's frost damage and nothing more. There are only a few leaves affected so I'll just leave them alone as you suggested. Horticultural fleecing? I never heard of that but them I'm a fairly new 'newbie gardener'. I'll get some. At least I'll have it for next year. Thanks Robyn.

7. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

Hi there,

Just so you know I'm replying from the UK, but fleece is very common here so would be surprised if you can't find it.