New Indoor Ficus (What type of Potting soil is recommended?)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JasonParks, Jun 12, 2007.

1. JasonParks

JasonParks Member

I'm personally new to the indoor gardening world, but I hail from a long line of plant enthusiasts.

I recently purchased a beautiful Ficus tree and I need to replant.

Any recommendations on caring for this Beauty? Which potting soil is best, Fertilizer, sun light, watering schedule? etc...

Any advice would help.

thx

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

A good soiles pro-mix is best, they can take full sun (indoors) to medium light,and only water when the soil is begining to dry out. the like to be kept moist at all times. This plant will drop some leaves, but its normal. The most important thing is that this plant doesn't like drafts,warm or cold, it will drop its leaves. also while re-potting it make sure to really tease the roots, what i do is take an old fork and just scrap up and down the root ball (only if rootbound), this allows the plant's roots to really take off and have a good start. the last thing is ficus do like to be pruned if not they will get really leggy looking .

3. mariateresa

mariateresa Member

I don't know what kind of ficus you have. Mine is a dwarf Ficus benjamina, and by keeping it moist at all times, I almost killed it. But as it really is a surviver, it wouldn't die, until I figured out its needs: very good light, even direct sunlight (mine sat next to my succulents all winter on a southwest windowsill), little water (it generally goes 3 to 4 weeks between waterings) and iron.

There is a thread in another forum with good information:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg082242071778.html?29

4. JasonParks

JasonParks Member

Thanks,

I've planted it with miracle grow potting soil and placed it near a southwest window.

Lets see how she does.

5. Jan Harvey

Jan Harvey New Member

We recommended you to use sun spectrum lights for your indoor garden. High Power 4S Lights are manufactured with Alta LED technology, based in Pomona in California . They have multi Watts Products for you what you need . These lights are Specialize in the fixtures of Alta LED,s Lights .
    Try it , Hope it helps you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014